Judge or 357 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Judge or 357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Just make sure the snubbie has big grips. The least fun firearm i have ever shot was the snub-nose .38 my grandma gave me. It had tiny grips and was hard to hold and fire well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #12

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

357 would be the better choice (though 45 lc can be a very potent round with propper ammo selection). I cc a 4" barrel 357, can be tough if printing or momentarily exposed (but thank God i live in an open carry jurisdiction)

Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #13

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ruger SP101, 357. The Judge is a novelty.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The judge shoots Winchester PDX 1 ammo quite nicely. It'll solve any situation your in out to 25ft with the right ammo. Unless your looking for some sort of "sniper" revolver the Judge will work just fine. As for a truck gun, it can work nice for a bird or 2 during the appropriate season of course.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want an EDC Handgun you might look into a Ruger LCR 38 special or 357/38 caliber. I have the 357/38 and really like it. It isn't a target revolver but if you train with it you can maintain combat accuracy from 5 ft to 15 yards. You will want to train with 38's. I carry 38 +P designed for short barrels and 165 grain 357 loads. Oh...and I carry it in my front pocket in a Desantis Pocket Holster. Check it out...it might be what you are looking for

Old 09-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have the LCR and love it in .357. That being said, my dad has the judge and it is his favorite gun. He takes it every where (even to shoot clays lately). Both are great guns. LCR for every day carrying in your pants, but judge for car gun or woods. Just my two cents.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #17

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

For close in defense - like your truck or concealed carry - a short gun works better. The Smith J-frames like the Airweights are good - comes in 38 - no 357. The Ruger LCR is the same basic size but has a softer grip that tends to soften the stiff recoil of the 38 from those small guns. The LCR also comes in 357 - so you have your choice of 38 or 357 in the same gun.
I own both - Smith and Ruger. My first was the Smith 438 38. I like it - but it isn't very pleasant to shoot at the range. So I opted for the LCR because the rubber grip surrounds the entire but of the gun - softening the shock. The Smith has the spine or back frame (back strap) of the butt directly touching your had - so no softening - which is why it kicks a little harder.
I opted for the LCR in 38 special. Was it a mistake? I don't know.... I just couldn't see me wanting to shoot a 357 in such a light weight gun. For that - for me - my thinking is to get something a little bigger to absorb the shock of the 357 -- Like a Ruger SP101 or a Smith model 14 or colt Trooper - if I want to shoot 357. But then those are not good conceal guns. - But would be excellent truck guns!
Remembering that it is for conceal carry for me - not a house gun - which I feel can be larger .
I still kinda favor my Smith 38 for conceal though - because the grips are a little smaller - making the gun a little easier to conceal.

Neither of these are pleasant range guns - they are what they are - kinda close in defense - and they are small. Doesn't mean they can't reach out - my groups are good - but it's not a lot of fun practicing.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #18

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The 454 casul judge is a great weapon for prison gaurds and other people who deal with inmates. The combination of magnum rounds and 3" buckshot will quell a riot or buy the worker time to get a shotgun. Otherwise I would rather have a 357.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2141 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Get the 357.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #20

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
I opted for the LCR in 38 special. Was it a mistake? I don't know.... I just couldn't see me wanting to shoot a 357 in such a light weight gun. For that - for me - my thinking is to get something a little bigger to absorb the shock of the 357 -- Like a Ruger SP101 or a Smith model 14 or colt Trooper - if I want to shoot 357. But then those are not good conceal guns. - But would be excellent truck guns!
I would agree about choosing the LCR in .38. While I don't doubt the gun can handle .357 loads, I think they are too much for me to handle in such an ultralight gun. I feel much the same about the various Airweight S&W J frames. The Ruger SP101 is probably the smallest gun I would want to shoot .357 rounds with.

I do rather disagree about the GP101 not being a concealed carry gun. I routinely conceal a full size Glock 17 IWB under a loose fitting shirt in the summer and under heavier winter clothing I find a Glock 21 OWB concealable. IMO the SP101 in the 2.25 or even 3 inch version would be no problem and indeed I have spoken to others who do just that.

If I was looking for a car or house gun in .357 I would go to the Ruger GP100 or S&W 686, both larger, heavier guns and much more pleasant to shoot full power loads through.

IMO the LCR, J frames and similar sized semiautos like the LCP or Bodyguard 380 are the minimum concealed carry choices for pocket carry, when you just can't or won't carry something better.

Finally, getting back to the original question I would definitely choose a .357 over a Judge or Governor any day of the week. The .357 is a proven round with a long track record for SD use. From what I have heard and seen there are questions about the penetration and effectiveness of .410 buckshot out of a handgun and IMO if you want to shoot .45 LC or ACP there are better platforms to use. In the end I think the Judge is a clever idea that may look good on paper but I'm not confident enough of the concept to trust my life to it.

Last edited by mdauben; 09-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.