Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > The Judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhesr View Post
The Judge is what it is. I like mine and it works fine for what I use it for. Great tractor gun, heck of a lot handier than a rifle or shotgun.

I wanted something that I could waste small vermin around the farm buildings without worrying about over penetration or backstop and still have the option of taking down a feral dog or cat. Mine is the 2 3/4" chamber w/6" bbl.. Had it over 2 years and it gets a lot of use. Zero problems so far.

Not the most accurate handgun I own or the best scattergun, but it works. I don't think I'd trust either round with my life, Too many other good choices out there. Short version, there is a lot it won't do well, but it does quite a bit real well.

PS. Jester, I spent some time in the "hood" you speak of. We wrestled E. High back in the day, even hoisted a few at Buzz's bar, till it Exploded back in "94"! Stay safe, Ken
Well stated...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #12

Liked 662 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Thanks all. It's sounding like it's not an all around great gun but will fit my needs pretty well. I'll have to check if they have the 3" chamber with the longer barrel.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #13

I'm going to go pick one up this afternoon.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #14

Hey Jester, one other thing. My neighbor down the road & I bought ours at the same gun show. We picked up some Cheap 2 3/4" RIO brand .410 shells in several shot sizes.

They would not fit in the cylinder, the diameter was too big, maybe .060" over, poor quality control at their factory. They worked fine in my .410 shotgun.

The Judge seems to have a tight bore in the cyl., probably to accommodate the .45 LC cartridge.

RIO is the only brand I've found this with. Federal, Winchester AA & Remington shot or slugs slip right in. Good luck with the new weapon, Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #15

Damn. Thanks a million Ken. That's some good info to leave the house with.

~George Washington

Old 10-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #16

I love a revolver of any sort more than most do. The Judge has a purpose and it is great for that purpose. If I lived in the country with snakes, varmets and critters I would own one. I live in a city with punks, gangs and drug addicts. All my guns are used shooting at the range, shooting cans in the woods with my grand children or (and I hope the day never comes) shooting holes in some thug who chooses this old timer as his prey. I don't intend on sending said thug to see a Judge I would shoot to send his gang banging ass to see the undertaker. A Judge isn't for me. Great concept if your lifestyle fits the trails, woods or farm but not a city gun.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead View Post
If I lived in the country with snakes, varmets and critters I would own one. I live in a city with punks, gangs and drug addicts.
I didn't know there was a difference?

Same damn critters, urban or rural, just different names.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #18

Picked one up today. It's worked out pretty well. I'm happy with it for sure. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot so I didn't get any 410 shells through it, but I did about 25 rounds of the 45's. It kicks a lot less than I thought and was able to keep about 95% of the shots on an 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper at 15 to 20 yards. I have some 000 buck 410 shells I'll have to try out later next week.

~George Washington

Old 10-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Do us all a favor and do some ballistic testing with the .410 loads. I want a debate ending review of the .410 as a viable defensive round from a short barrel revolver, please!

You could use a 18 stack if newspaper wrapped with ties and soaked overnight in a nice bath. Then put some denim or an old coat in front of it as if were wearing it.

Do it! It'll be fun, and educational.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #20

I could do that. I can get a **** ton of scrap paper from work.

~George Washington