Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Iver johnson- U.S revolver co (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/iver-johnson-u-s-revolver-co-85862/)

MrDutton892 03-05-2013 11:28 PM

Iver johnson- U.S revolver co

5 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased a U.S revolver co created by iver Johnson, some parts are worn but if parts were replaced would it be able to be fired once again.

c3shooter 03-05-2013 11:34 PM

Those were nice little revolvers- and generally do not have extremely high prices. Have a couple of the hammerless US Revolvers- and I like them.

There are SOME parts available for those (no .38 cylinders, tho)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/IverJohnson-33317/Revolvers-36650/USRevolverTopBreak-38250.htm?results=All

emember those are .38 S&W, and not .38 Special. If you send me the serial number, I can give you the year of manufacture.

MrDutton892 03-05-2013 11:39 PM

I have done a little research on the pistol and found out they were made for .22, .32 and .38 caliber. How would one be able to find out the correct size of ammunition? Serial number 43485

c3shooter 03-06-2013 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Made in 1913. Third year of production.

Caliber? You could weigh the gun- the .38 S&W version weighed 17 3/4 oz, the .32 version was 12 1/2 oz. We can be pretty sure it is not a .22- wrong number of chambers. Or do it the easy way- try to fit a .38 S&W cartridge in the chamber. If it fits, it is a .38 S&W. If it does not fit, it is a .32 S&W. NO US REVOLVER was a 'black powder" gun- they were all made for smokeless powder.

Originally sold for $11.

Attachment 89068

Second from the top is a US Revolver Hammerless Model in .32 S&W.

MrDutton892 03-06-2013 01:02 AM

Thank you for the information, there was on thing I was wondering is when I was doing research on the pistol I noticed that the symbol on the grip was an owl and I also noticed on some that there was a design of a target with bollet holes on it.

c3shooter 03-06-2013 11:37 AM

Two different company trademarks. The Owl's Head is Iver Johnson. Target with holes in it- Harrington and Richardson, a competitor.

John_Deer 03-06-2013 11:53 AM

Those little pistols are pretty durable. A friend has a .32. Looking at it one would think it is out of time. But the little gun still shoots great. He inherited the gun from his grandfather and carries it every day. Thanks to that little gun his grandfather lived a long life, despite his rough and tumble ways.

MrDutton892 03-06-2013 08:52 PM

Yea there is little work that has to be done but we are going to be taking it to a local gun smith that we know way before anything is going to be fired out of it

TopBrake 03-20-2014 10:06 PM

For c3shooter;

I have read many posts on various forums and have seen several comments on early US Revolvers using parts left over when IJ began making Model 3's (smokeless powder). Supposedly, the first 14,XXX or so made used old IJ Model 2 cylinders designed for black powder (BP) loads. After the initial run the metal used for the cylinders was upgraded and supposedly OK for smokeless. I reload using both American Patriot Powder (APP) and FFF BP and have had nothing but fun. I have two circa 1910 US revolvers, 32 hammer less and a 38 with hammer both having sn's in the 4 digits. Both are good shooters and surprisingly well made, in better condition than some Model 3 IJs I have in the stable. Also, I have fired both 32 & 38 S&W made by Remington and Winchester in older IJs, H&Rs, and S&Ws without any problems. Supposedly both brands are run once a year and are loaded to lower pressures purposely for use in old top breaks. When in doubt I have a gunsmith check them out before firing (goooood idea) and fire sparingly. Too much firing will stretch the frame and get them out of time.

Best bet, get it checked.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk