Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Iver Johnson revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Iver Johnson revolver

A family member gave me this Iver Johnson. I have looked up some info on it and found it is pretty old. What I am interested in is the rifling, or that it looks like there is not rifling in the barrel. Is it possible this gun has been shot so much the rifling is gone? Did Iver Johnson make a gun with out rifling (yes i know this is most likely not the case). Any info on how it is possible to shoot out the barrel and the # of round it would take would interest me. Over all the gun looks OK, the cylinder is loose and the barrel has not rifling but other then that it is OK.

And before anyone says it, I am not thinking of firing this gun. The history novelty of the gun is just cool to me. Thanks Big

guns-013.jpg   guns-014.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8606 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

There have been revolvers made in smoothbore for shot loads only- do not know if IJ made any. If that truly IS a smoothbore, and made after 1896, you have a problem- that is classed as an AOW- "Any Other Weapon"- regulated under the National Firearms Act- treated much like a machinegun or sawed off shotgun. SEVERE Federal penalty for possession of unregistered AOWs.

Before dropping it into a DEEP body of salt water, try scrubbing the bore with a good solvents and a brass bore brush. Let solvent sit overnight, scrub again. Many of the older 32 and 38 S&Ws were shot with black powder loads, or corrosive primed loads, and the corrosion did the deed on the rifling- not the wear from bullets. There MAY be shallow rifling in there under a layer of crud.

Finish on yours is well preserved. I have a few 32s from that same era that I still shoot.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Your pic showing the muzzle shows some rifling. Take c3's advice and soak and scrub the barrel, clean and lube the rest of it up and then see how it looks. Then have it checked out by a gunsmith.

You can probably shoot it, it's not particularly valuable, so if it's safe, shoot it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Your pic showing the muzzle shows some rifling.

Once I took the photo I saw the same thing. I do need to clean it up and then see what I have. When I read about these guns I did see post with info on black powder being shot out of them. I will post pics and info when I get it cleaned up. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #5

Default After cleaning

After giving it a 15 min bath in an ultra sonic cleaner it looks pretty good. I do see some rifling but it is worn down from what I can tell. Do any of you know of a web page that I can look up my SS number on to see what year it was made. Thank for the help

PS: it is crazy what the camera will show you that your eye does not see. The rust in the cylinder is wild. I could not see that with my eyes. I would say that is why the camera puts on 10 LBS, LOL.

guns-015.jpg   guns-016.jpg   guns-018.jpg  

Last edited by Bigguns911; 11-03-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

See if you can find "Kroil". It's a penetrating agent and a cleaner. You should find it at any gun store or range. Soak the heck out of the cylinder and barrel. You'll be surprised how clean they'll become. Good luck and enjoy the project.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There IS rifling, I see it in your photo. 5 grooves, righthand twist...

Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

The photo showed the rifling pretty good, I was a dip shi! and asked questions before doing things I know I should, like clean the gun!! But thanks much for all the help on it. I don't think it had been clean in several years. After cleaning it I think I will man up and shot the thing. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Try that Kroil and scrub the heck out of it, it will work wonders. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigguns911 View Post
The photo showed the rifling pretty good, I was a dip shi! and asked questions before doing things I know I should, like clean the gun!! But thanks much for all the help on it. I don't think it had been clean in several years. After cleaning it I think I will man up and shot the thing. Thanks again.
I wouldn't be fast to "man up and shoot the thing"! Take the time to better understand the firearm, even better have it checked by a gunsmith. With the few mis cues already, PLEASE don't shoot a firearm your aren't certian that is safe.

The pistol when new was modest quality, the condition is pretty rough. Take a deep breath brother and have it checked out before you shoot it. If something goes wrong the harm it could cause is far more than the expense of a gunsmith checking the pistol out and letting you know it is safe to fire.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.