Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Iver Johnson revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/iver-johnson-revolver-19726/)

Bigguns911 11-02-2009 11:55 PM

Iver Johnson revolver

2 Attachment(s)
A family member gave me this Iver Johnson. I have looked up some info on it and found it is pretty old. What I am interested in is the rifling, or that it looks like there is not rifling in the barrel. Is it possible this gun has been shot so much the rifling is gone? Did Iver Johnson make a gun with out rifling (yes i know this is most likely not the case). Any info on how it is possible to shoot out the barrel and the # of round it would take would interest me. Over all the gun looks OK, the cylinder is loose and the barrel has not rifling but other then that it is OK.

And before anyone says it, I am not thinking of firing this gun.:( The history novelty of the gun is just cool to me. Thanks Big

c3shooter 11-03-2009 04:00 AM

There have been revolvers made in smoothbore for shot loads only- do not know if IJ made any. If that truly IS a smoothbore, and made after 1896, you have a problem- that is classed as an AOW- "Any Other Weapon"- regulated under the National Firearms Act- treated much like a machinegun or sawed off shotgun. SEVERE Federal penalty for possession of unregistered AOWs.

Before dropping it into a DEEP body of salt water, try scrubbing the bore with a good solvents and a brass bore brush. Let solvent sit overnight, scrub again. Many of the older 32 and 38 S&Ws were shot with black powder loads, or corrosive primed loads, and the corrosion did the deed on the rifling- not the wear from bullets. There MAY be shallow rifling in there under a layer of crud.

Finish on yours is well preserved. I have a few 32s from that same era that I still shoot.

CA357 11-03-2009 04:44 AM

Your pic showing the muzzle shows some rifling. Take c3's advice and soak and scrub the barrel, clean and lube the rest of it up and then see how it looks. Then have it checked out by a gunsmith.

You can probably shoot it, it's not particularly valuable, so if it's safe, shoot it.

Bigguns911 11-03-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 181717)
Your pic showing the muzzle shows some rifling.

Once I took the photo I saw the same thing. I do need to clean it up and then see what I have. When I read about these guns I did see post with info on black powder being shot out of them. I will post pics and info when I get it cleaned up. Thanks for the help.

Bigguns911 11-03-2009 06:49 PM

After cleaning

3 Attachment(s)
After giving it a 15 min bath in an ultra sonic cleaner it looks pretty good. I do see some rifling but it is worn down from what I can tell. Do any of you know of a web page that I can look up my SS number on to see what year it was made. Thank for the help

PS: it is crazy what the camera will show you that your eye does not see. The rust in the cylinder is wild. I could not see that with my eyes. I would say that is why the camera puts on 10 LBS, LOL.

CA357 11-03-2009 11:04 PM

See if you can find "Kroil". It's a penetrating agent and a cleaner. You should find it at any gun store or range. Soak the heck out of the cylinder and barrel. You'll be surprised how clean they'll become. Good luck and enjoy the project. :cool:

Mark F 11-04-2009 11:17 AM

There IS rifling, I see it in your photo. 5 grooves, righthand twist...

Bigguns911 11-04-2009 03:17 PM

The photo showed the rifling pretty good, I was a dip shi! and asked questions before doing things I know I should, like clean the gun!! But thanks much for all the help on it. I don't think it had been clean in several years. After cleaning it I think I will man up and shot the thing. Thanks again.

CA357 11-04-2009 03:45 PM

Try that Kroil and scrub the heck out of it, it will work wonders. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

WDB 11-05-2009 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguns911 (Post 182288)
The photo showed the rifling pretty good, I was a dip shi! and asked questions before doing things I know I should, like clean the gun!! But thanks much for all the help on it. I don't think it had been clean in several years. After cleaning it I think I will man up and shot the thing. Thanks again.

I wouldn't be fast to "man up and shoot the thing"! Take the time to better understand the firearm, even better have it checked by a gunsmith. With the few mis cues already, PLEASE don't shoot a firearm your aren't certian that is safe.

The pistol when new was modest quality, the condition is pretty rough. Take a deep breath brother and have it checked out before you shoot it. If something goes wrong the harm it could cause is far more than the expense of a gunsmith checking the pistol out and letting you know it is safe to fire.