Iver Johnson .32 S&W Oddball
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Iver Johnson .32 S&W Oddball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Iver Johnson .32 S&W Oddball

I recently bought this from an older lady who inherited it from her mother, and it had never been fired. Still in the original box with a box of ammo, I couldn't pass it up. Then I went and fired it, and it was not pleasant. When I was done in the Boom Room, I went downstairs to see what the Blue Book said about it, and it wasn't even listed. I can't find out a damned thing about it other than it was originally designed as an 8-shot .22, but then there was a mod to install a loading gate, but no mention of pumping it up to .32. Model is Iver Johnson Cadet 56-SA, despite what it says on the box, Serno B 8617. What I like about it is that you can cup it in your palm to beat the BG to unconciousness after putting 5 rounds of unavailable ammo into him. I wish I had the receipt from the original purchase, but according to the lady I bought it from, it was pretty much a stashed gun that was bought for the small grip and the low recoil.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

That's a .32?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
That's a .32?
Fo' shizzle. Fires .32 S&W. Works like a champ until you have to reload it. There's no ejector. You drop the cylinder out by removing the rod, and push the spent casings out one-at-a-time using the cylinder rod. A true "Fire-and-forget" weapon!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

A quick curiosity search shows that the ammo is still produced, and is reasonable, and out of stock.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
A quick curiosity search shows that the ammo is still produced, and is reasonable, and out of stock.
Ain't like I'll be counting on it when the Obzambies come, and I thank you for your research. I saved out 5 rounds of the box that came with the gun and hope that I never, ever get to the point where I need to use this sideshow freak. Saturday Night Specials earned their distinction on crap like this.

Last edited by gorknoids; 07-08-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I.J. Cadet Model 55SA
- .22 rimfire cal., 8 shot, blue finish, similar to Cadet Model 55A, except has loading gate on right side of frame, approx. 27 oz. Mfg. 1961-1978.

No mention of .32cal.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I.J. Cadet Model 55SA
- .22 rimfire cal., 8 shot, blue finish, similar to Cadet Model 55A, except has loading gate on right side of frame, approx. 27 oz. Mfg. 1961-1978.

No mention of .32cal.
The .22 is what Sirhan Sirhan used, in case any handgun trivia fans are following. The .32 S&W is a frigging ghost. Thanks for checking, Cane!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #8

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Wow, there's a bit of history trivia!

Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed with a .22 cal I.J. Cadet Model 55SA

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #9

A google search lead me to this thread. Seemingly one of only a few actual results. Figured I would tag the thread and bump it.

I just was given this exact pistol by my Grandmother, who no longer wants Grandpas old gun in the house. Its been 7 years since he passed...always wondered why she kept it all this time up on the shelf in the closet when she always flat out refused to have anything to do with them while he was alive. Anyway, its an Iver Johnson Cadet Model 55-SA, .32S&W, Ser#B-4751.

From reading the other replies, as well as lack of search results, this particular pistol is a ghost. I just wanted to bump the thread and maybe see if there have been any revelations since this thread was buried two years ago.

Cheers!
.rTBK

2012-12-09-17.56.26.jpg  

Last edited by RavenTBK; 12-09-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added photo

Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Thee is a bit more than one page on the Cadet 55 S and 55 SA in "Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works" by the late Mr. W.E. (Bill) Goforth. These were made in .22 rimfire, .32 S&W, and .38 S&W. There were several variations over the years, mainly unseen engineering changes, shape of front sight, etc.

The new price when first introduced in 1955 was $26.10. And while it is not a Colt or Smith, would probably not call it a Saturday Night Special- if comparing it to an RG or Clerke. These were decently made, durable guns- just very plain and simple. They tended to be the gun of the working man, store owner, or the head of household that wanted a pistol for the nightstand.

While .32 S&W is not going to set any world records for stopping power (about 93 ft lbs muzzle energy) it DOES score better than a .22 LR WHEN FIRED FROM A THREE INCH BARREL (about 73 ft lbs) And yes, .32 S&W ammo is available from just about any gun shop.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.