Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   iver johnson .32 cal 6 shot revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/iver-johnson-32-cal-6-shot-revolver-55933/)

xXtacticalrimfireXx 01-20-2012 06:39 PM

iver johnson .32 cal 6 shot revolver

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this for fifty b you cost I was wondering if anyone had any info on this gun I've yet to find a reliable source

Attachment 37820

(remington scoremaster a.k.a "squirrelmaster")

IDVague 01-20-2012 07:34 PM

It looks like the little brother to my IJ .38 S&W (5-shot), 3rd model. Circa 1909.

orangello 01-20-2012 08:04 PM

If you fire it, be careful what ammo you choose to use. I would think it probably predates todays pressures.

hiwall 01-20-2012 10:21 PM

Not much to say about them. They made about 64 gazillion of them. Fifty to one hundred is about the average price. Even when new they did not have a very tight lock-up. Shoot it at your own risk and if you do stand well away from other people(yes I have shot a few of them to). I have to say that they are a piece of American history.

HOSSFLY 01-20-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 683485)
Not much to say about them. They made about 64 gazillion of them. Fifty to one hundred is about the average price. Even when new they did not have a very tight lock-up. Shoot it at your own risk and if you do stand well away from other people(yes I have shot a few of them to). I have to say that they are a piece of American history.

Pretty much agree with hiwall-
I've had a couple in my CAS days-
Be dam carefull - if your not familiar with such have a gunsmith check it out :o
BTW- They're a hoot to shoot with black powder loads :cool:

c3shooter 01-21-2012 12:05 AM

Iver vas a goot Norvegan boy that was a gunsmith, emigrated to the US, and set up a gun making business in Mass, about 1871. When the company closed in 1993, they had made a few bazillion guns.

While not real high dollar guns, they were well made, and used a transfer bar system for the firing pin (pressure on an uncocked hammer puts NO pressure on firing pin)

DO have a smith check the timing. Modern 32 S&W ammo should be fine (stick w/ round nosed lead) your gun was well after black powder era, and SAAMI on .32 S&W is mild.

By the way, a .32 IJ worked well enough to assasinate President McKinley-

If you have ever heard reference to an "Owl's Head" revolver- that be it. They also made rifles, shotguns, and bicycles.

donthav1 01-21-2012 05:50 AM

[QUOTE= They also made rifles, shotguns, and bicycles.[/QUOTE]

and motorcycles :D

there isn't much consistant info on alot of the working class revolvers from back in the day, but i believe a pretty thorough book was written by Bill Goforth about iver johnsons if you want to find more info.

oh, & in case no one told you yet for the love of god don't shoot 32 auto in it.