Itty bitty guns.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Itty bitty guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Itty bitty guns.

Ever since "getting into guns," I've had a desire to own a derringer. I've owned them and sold them, bought new ones, and later used them as trading stock. I once owned one in .38 caliber, which hurt to shoot, but most others have been .22 magnum, both the High Standard and the "Remington" style western guns. I even carried one of the High Standards as a backup duty gun, which was the fashion among cops in San Diego County in the early 70's. I've always thought of them as fun guns, not serious carry guns, just for hanging around the neighborhood, or taking out the trash. I live in a gated community where every home owner has to pass a background check, and it is a relatively "safe" place to live. I usually leave my primary carry .45 at home (in the safe) while around home, but I am realistic enough to not go unarmed.

A few weeks ago, I stuck my .22 mag derringer in my pocket to walk to a neighbor's house. When I got back home and was about to put it away, I thought that it was too bad it only had two shots, which got me to thinking. (Uh-oh.)

The next thing I knew, I was at my favorite gun shop, trading my derringer (again) on a new gun. I decided I wanted to try an NAA Mini Revolver, .22 / .22 magnum combo w/ two cylinders, with five shots instead of two, in an incredibly small package. I have known all along about the NAA's, but always thought of them as novelty guns. To make a long story longer, it followed me home. My wife thinks it is "cute" .

I was immediately impressed with the quality of the workmanship of the little gun. I am also impressed with the safety system of resting the single action hammer in a notch, cut between the chambers of the cylinder. Not a tack driver and the sights have no useful purpose that I can determine, but point shooting it at close range (what it was designed for) works very well in both .22 lr and magnum. If you have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your wallet, they are not bad little blasters.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

they are neat lil revolvers...i picked one up used @ a shop close to work...i have fired over 500rds from my NAA 22lr. and havent had one prob with it...they are not tack drivers,but mine will make a 12oz can @ 20ft. walk 5 steps using bulk buy ammo...heck of alot more accurate than my davis 2 shot in 22mag...hardest thing about the lil revolver is holding on to it

Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

NAA makes fine little guns.
I had a problem with mine when I first got it, but their customer service is top-notch, they sent me a free replacement part and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I carry the 2" Black Widow in .22 Mag. I practice with the .22 LR cylinder.

They are good little pocket guns, well-suited for carry in the heat and humidity of the Deep South.

If you have trouble holding the gun, the large rubber grips really work well.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Well, that IS the problem with a revolver with a hammer- click pic to enlarge
pistols-008.jpg

The bottom 2 are Baby Hammerless revolvers. To put them in scale, the barrels are a bit less than 1 inch- and the top revolver is a .22 Colt.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here is an itty bitty. It was apparently made to fire some sort of little blank. The cylinder only has one chamber and does not rotate.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

NAA has come out with a "Break top" revolver in .22 Magnum. Looks very interesting.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
NAA has come out with a "Break top" revolver in .22 Magnum. Looks very interesting.
After checking out the NAA forum I learned that they've already discontinued the break top "Ranger" because it required too much hand fitting, and therefore would have been too expensive.
I think they've only made around 500 of them

Old 04-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, that IS the problem with a revolver with a hammer- click pic to enlarge
Attachment 26876

The bottom 2 are Baby Hammerless revolvers. To put them in scale, the barrels are a bit less than 1 inch- and the top revolver is a .22 Colt.
I didn't know Iver Johnson made a hammerless... Mine's ancient and needs a tune-up (it might even be a black-powder model [single-post-latch on top]) but I have fired .32 S&W with it long ago... Since then, it's languished in the safe.