Issues with S&W 637-2 Revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Issues with S&W 637-2 Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Issues with S&W 637-2 Revolver

Hi everyone.

About a month ago, I purchased a S&W 637-2 Airweight from a private party. The gun was brand new in the box unfired. Along with it, I got an HKS speedloader and a Hogue Bantam grip along with 100 rounds of .38 hollow point ammo. The whole package was quite a deal.

Last week, I took the gun out to the range and fired it for the first time. I put the 100 rounds of ammo thru it. During that time, I noticed the barrel and front sight was not centered to the frame in a way that the sight is not centered to the sight groove on top of the frame and the ejector is not centered to the locking bolt and spring.

Today I decided to clean the gun. While cleaning, I found that the part of the frame underneath where the barrel is inserted to the frame has a large crack in it. There also seems to be a little bit of excess solder there as well.

So what I'm trying to find out is if its common occurance on S&W small J frame revolvers for the barrel and front sight to be installed off center from the frame? Also, is the crack in the frame under where the barrel inserts into the frame normal? If both of these are not normal, will S&W fix them under warranty?

Any comments and/or feedback on the above issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NeoGeo630; 06-20-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #2

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Send it to S&W. Without delay.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Send it to S&W. Without delay.
That would be exactly what i would do.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Just send it in to S&W. They have a lifetime warranty.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

"DO NOT" attempt to shoot it again. Send it to Smith&Wesson for a replacement. Call them first and they will give you the details on what to do.

Jim............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Yep. Send it back. Don't shoot it anymore.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Already been said send it to S&W, something not right there. Might be the former owner did something stupid, tried to fix it and then sold it. Smith will tell you what's going on and if it's there issue they will make it right.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I called today and they immediately emailed me a shipping label so I could send it in. They said the barrel and sight being off center will be fixed under warranty but the crack will need to be evaluated further and they will call me to discuss what needs to be done about it. Hopefully they give me a new frame or replace the firearm altogether. I will update as soon as I hear back from them.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good luck.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGeo630 View Post
Hi everyone.

About a month ago, I purchased a S&W 637-2 Airweight from a private party. The gun was brand new in the box unfired. Along with it, I got an HKS speedloader and a Hogue Bantam grip along with 100 rounds of .38 hollow point ammo. The whole package was quite a deal.

Last week, I took the gun out to the range and fired it for the first time. I put the 100 rounds of ammo thru it. During that time, I noticed the barrel and front sight was not centered to the frame in a way that the sight is not centered to the sight groove on top of the frame and the ejector is not centered to the locking bolt and spring.

Today I decided to clean the gun. While cleaning, I found that the part of the frame underneath where the barrel is inserted to the frame has a large crack in it. There also seems to be a little bit of excess solder there as well.

So what I'm trying to find out is if its common occurance on S&W small J frame revolvers for the barrel and front sight to be installed off center from the frame? Also, is the crack in the frame under where the barrel inserts into the frame normal? If both of these are not normal, will S&W fix them under warranty?

Any comments and/or feedback on the above issues would be greatly appreciated.

Several years ago I bought a used gun from a friend and I had the exact same problem. I put about 50 rounds through the gun, then discovered a crack in the frame just as you did. This gun was a S&W J Frame Body guard model which I sent back to S&W through my Gun Dealer. It cost me $35 and in about two weeks they sent me a new Body Guard. I was shocked but very happy to receive the new gun. They honer their Lifetime Warrantee.