Internal Noise from the gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Internal Noise from the gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Internal Noise from the gun

Today I bought my first revolver (S&W model 686-6" .357 mag). For some reason when I move the revolver it sound very strange noise from the inner gun. I push the trigger and it still work but I want to know if it is normal.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Most of my smith revolvers have a little rattle. A LITTLE. If you pick up you gun and it sounds like a chainsaw, mabye take it to get looked at IMO. Otherwise if its accurate, Cylinder is in spec. yada yada i wouldnt worry to much about it.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
Today I bought my first revolver (S&W model 686-6" .357 mag). For some reason when I move the revolver it sound very strange noise from the inner gun. I push the trigger and it still work but I want to know if it is normal.
What do you mean by "move the revolver?" Are you meaning the cylinder? Is it a grinding sound, a clicking sound? Have you cleaned the factory gunk and dirt from the gun?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 705 Times on 364 Posts

I found a Sig at a pawn shop, it as also had a little internal noise. I shook it a bit, then asked the guy if it was supposed to sound like a bag of quarters? I then asked if they carried any firearms they thought were safe to shoot. I think it went downhill from there...

Old 03-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
All double action revolvers have a little rattle, it is the hammer block.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1402

You're not holding the gun close enough to the computer for us to hear it......

Seriously- and this is not meant as a snide remark- how much experience have you had with S&W revolvers? If you mean sounds when cocking it- yes, the cylinder bolt retracts, allowing cylinder to turn, hand pushes on the rachet, cylinder turns, stop drops into place locking cylinder, sear engages notch on hammer. Mine sound sort of like sha-clink-click-click.

However, if you are in doubt, drop in to your local gunsmith or gun shop with the UNLOADED revolver, have them take a look/listen.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop
I found a Sig at a pawn shop, it as also had a little internal noise. I shook it a bit, then asked the guy if it was supposed to sound like a bag of quarters? I then asked if they carried any firearms they thought were safe to shoot. I think it went downhill from there...
Lmao......!! Now that's funny!!

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

The most common "rattle" you will hear in a Smith revolver is the hammer block. This just tells you it is not gummy on the inside. Next most common is the ammo in the cylinder, it will rattle back and forth a bit.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

It is my first revolver, in fact I shoot with it today and it was very impressive very accurate with both calibers. This week will buy more 357 mag and 38 for the next weekend. The noise look like between the trigger and the hammer like a metallic sound. Apparently what I read here seems a normal noise. I was very worry to have bought something damage.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
It is my first revolver, in fact I shoot with it today and it was very impressive very accurate with both calibers. This week will buy more 357 mag and 38 for the next weekend. The noise look like between the trigger and the hammer like a metallic sound. Apparently what I read here seems a normal noise. I was very worry to have bought something damage.
Glad to hear everything is normal. I have a 686 4", great shooter...enjoy it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington