Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Internal Noise from the gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/internal-noise-gun-86180/)

Sibil 03-10-2013 01:35 AM

Internal Noise from the gun

Today I bought my first revolver (S&W model 686-6" .357 mag). For some reason when I move the revolver it sound very strange noise from the inner gun. I push the trigger and it still work but I want to know if it is normal.

Biohazurd 03-10-2013 05:38 AM

Most of my smith revolvers have a little rattle. A LITTLE. If you pick up you gun and it sounds like a chainsaw, mabye take it to get looked at IMO. Otherwise if its accurate, Cylinder is in spec. yada yada i wouldnt worry to much about it.

Jpyle 03-10-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibil (Post 1170397)
Today I bought my first revolver (S&W model 686-6" .357 mag). For some reason when I move the revolver it sound very strange noise from the inner gun. I push the trigger and it still work but I want to know if it is normal.

What do you mean by "move the revolver?" Are you meaning the cylinder? Is it a grinding sound, a clicking sound? Have you cleaned the factory gunk and dirt from the gun?

TankTop 03-10-2013 05:42 AM

I found a Sig at a pawn shop, it as also had a little internal noise. I shook it a bit, then asked the guy if it was supposed to sound like a bag of quarters? I then asked if they carried any firearms they thought were safe to shoot. I think it went downhill from there...

marc29th 03-10-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibil (Post 1170397)

All double action revolvers have a little rattle, it is the hammer block.

c3shooter 03-10-2013 01:44 PM

You're not holding the gun close enough to the computer for us to hear it......:p

Seriously- and this is not meant as a snide remark- how much experience have you had with S&W revolvers? If you mean sounds when cocking it- yes, the cylinder bolt retracts, allowing cylinder to turn, hand pushes on the rachet, cylinder turns, stop drops into place locking cylinder, sear engages notch on hammer. Mine sound sort of like sha-clink-click-click.

However, if you are in doubt, drop in to your local gunsmith or gun shop with the UNLOADED revolver, have them take a look/listen.

deadsp0t 03-10-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TankTop
I found a Sig at a pawn shop, it as also had a little internal noise. I shook it a bit, then asked the guy if it was supposed to sound like a bag of quarters? I then asked if they carried any firearms they thought were safe to shoot. I think it went downhill from there...

Lmao......!! Now that's funny!!

robocop10mm 03-10-2013 04:38 PM

The most common "rattle" you will hear in a Smith revolver is the hammer block. This just tells you it is not gummy on the inside. Next most common is the ammo in the cylinder, it will rattle back and forth a bit.

Sibil 03-10-2013 10:41 PM

It is my first revolver, in fact I shoot with it today and it was very impressive very accurate with both calibers. This week will buy more 357 mag and 38 for the next weekend. The noise look like between the trigger and the hammer like a metallic sound. Apparently what I read here seems a normal noise. I was very worry to have bought something damage.

Jpyle 03-10-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibil (Post 1171398)
It is my first revolver, in fact I shoot with it today and it was very impressive very accurate with both calibers. This week will buy more 357 mag and 38 for the next weekend. The noise look like between the trigger and the hammer like a metallic sound. Apparently what I read here seems a normal noise. I was very worry to have bought something damage.

Glad to hear everything is normal. I have a 686 4", great shooter...enjoy it.