Information on 38 S&W SPECIAL
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Information on 38 S&W SPECIAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Information on 38 S&W SPECIAL

photo-0007.jpg

photo-0009.jpg

photo-0012_00.jpg

photo-0014.jpg

photo-0015.jpg

I inheritated a pistol from my uncle. Attatched are 5 pictures with markings noted. I have researched until frankly I'm more confused than when I started. When was this pistol manufactured? Is the cartridge supposed to be a 38 special, or say 38 S&W special. This and any info will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sell it, he was my favorite uncle, I would like to know about the history of the gun.

An expert is a man 50 miles from home with a breifcase.

A rookie gangster to an old timer, "Why do we hold the gun sideways"
Old timer, " Idiot, thats the way it came out of the box!"

Last edited by iluv2shoot2; 05-31-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I can't spell worth a flip.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #2

Appears to be a 1960's K frame, others here can be more specific. The designation on the barrel should read 38 S&W Special CTG, with the CTG referring to nothing more than cartridge. It will shoot standard 38 special ammo, DO NOT FIRE +P, it is not rated for it. These were standard issue police and military issue for many years before the advent of the semiauto 9mm, I have one in my safe that was my great uncles service pistol. Great shooters IMO.
I hope others can go into more detail. It appears the grips has been replaced with a rubber one, the original were a nice wood.

Last edited by mmszbi; 05-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

I knew it was an after market grip. I went thru everything I could find in my uncles house trying to find the original grips but they were not anywhere. My aunt is keeping her eye out for them for me.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It looks to be a Model 10 pencil barrel. As mmszbi said earlier they were standard issue for a lot of police departments and some military, used to carry one myself as a young air policeman in the Air Force in the late 60s. Good advice on staying away from +p. Regular old 38 specials will work great. I suspect that a supporting member who goes by mesinge2 will be along soon and can tell you when it was made and anything else you need to know about it. Could be worth $250 to $400 depending on how it looks and if it is dinged up or not.

Pops

Last edited by oldcoptn46; 05-31-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #5

As the pictures show it's kinda dinged, scratched up. not real bad but it is. It shoots real good. I shoot snakes with it when I'm fishing so it's fairly accurate. I just like to shoot it!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3274 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 338

That is a 5 screw K-frame. Puts it pre 1950 or so. Probably a pre-model 10 called (I believe) the .38 Military and Police model.

No +P.

Judging by the condition it does not have a great deal of montary value but probably has high sentimental value. Keep her and shoot her.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

You guys are sharp. Any more info would be great!!

Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10406 Times on 4488 Posts
Likes Given: 1653

FWIW, Smith & Wesson created the cartridge everyone calls .38 Special. In 1899. It was properly called the Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police Special. It would be marked on a firearms as 38 S&W Special. Which hacked Colt off to no end- so for a while, THEY made a cartridge called the COLT .38 Special. Identical to the S&W round in every respect EXCEPT had a flat tipped bullet. But that meant that Colt no longer had to put S&W on their guns.

Do not confuse it with .38 S&W, which was a different round altogether, and it does NOT interchange with .38 Special.

Your revolver should go down in the history books as the Peacemaker of the 20th century. Carried by hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers- accurate, reliable, with the right ammo, decent stopping power. The +P stuff is not likely to cause a catastrophic failure of the revolver,but will cause accelerated wear, possible stetching of the frame, and you will learn about problems with "end shake" and "timing". so dont.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Do not confuse it with .38 S&W, which was a different round altogether, and it does NOT interchange with .38 Special.
I had read that they were two different cartridges, and I wasn't sure I was using the right one. There was a partial box of shells with the gun that were marked 38 SPECIAL that I had been using. They are almost gone and I wanted to make sure what I was using was correct.Can you even accidently fire the wrong cartridge in it?