I'm looking for a cheap 357 mag - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I'm looking for a cheap 357 mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

All of these are good suggestions OP. I like an older S&W, but there are a lot of different deals out there. I have now a S&W 65-2 and love it, although there has been a lot of concerns for the design (you can look it up on google). I have also had a rossi .357 mag snubnose. Not sure of the model number, but they don't have a lot of variety so it's pretty easy to find. BTW, Rossi, Taurus, and Braztech are pretty much the same company to my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and they are fine guns-nothing real special, pretty good price, customer service not so bad, etc.etc. Both of these that I've had cost around 300 (rossi was 275 new, Smith was a little more at 350 I think)

Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
All of these are good suggestions OP. I like an older S&W, but there are a lot of different deals out there. I have now a S&W 65-2 and love it, although there has been a lot of concerns for the design (you can look it up on google). I have also had a rossi .357 mag snubnose. Not sure of the model number, but they don't have a lot of variety so it's pretty easy to find. BTW, Rossi, Taurus, and Braztech are pretty much the same company to my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and they are fine guns-nothing real special, pretty good price, customer service not so bad, etc.etc. Both of these that I've had cost around 300 (rossi was 275 new, Smith was a little more at 350 I think)
well said trip. i like the S&Ws, but somtimes they can still be pricey even for used ones in good condition. i have a Taurus 44 tracker, and have had several Taurus pistols in the past, and have very good luck with them. BTW, Rossi and Braztech are owned by the same company, and Taurus manufactures some of Rossi's 38s and 357s under the Rossi name.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The Smith's are a good deal if you can find used in your price range. Don't forget about the Ruger GP100, they are solid performers. A good used Ruger should fall within your spending goal.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
~John Wooden

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #14

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I picked up a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 for $325.00. Was in great shape and came with an extra cylinder for 9mm (which I never use). Shoots great. Check you local gun shop for used.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #15

there are many good deals on revolvers if you look around. try the pawnshops, gun stores and if there are any gunshows go looking there. try gunbroker.com or gunsamerica.com. sometimes you just have to look and keep looking. all of the guns that were suggested would be good guns and it might just come down to personal preference. and if you buy one that you like, you can usually make it more comfortable to shoot by adding aftermarket grips. as general rule aftermarket rubber grips are more comfortable than wooden grips, and some of the factory rubber or plastic grips. my Taurus 44 mag. Tracker had factory rubber grips and i replaced them with Hogue Monogrips. a world of difference! way better control even shooting magnum loads one handed!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyman24 View Post
I want a 357 mag anybody know anygood cheap ones just to take to range and to.just shoot and enjoy
Quality is always the real bargain. Smith Wesson model 66 is just about perfect for occasional magnum use, the SW 686 if you want to shoot magnums a lot. Ruger also makes good magnums. I would stay away from junk guns like Taurus or cheap clones. Look at the resale values and you will see why. SW guns just keep going up, the cheap guns are throw away junk.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
IMHO, the word CHEAP is not one that should be applied to a firearm
Amen. Remember that hand holding the gun will be the source of about 95% of the romance you're going to get over your lifetime: take care of it.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Quality is always the real bargain. Smith Wesson model 66 is just about perfect for occasional magnum use, the SW 686 if you want to shoot magnums a lot. Ruger also makes good magnums. I would stay away from junk guns like Taurus or cheap clones. Look at the resale values and you will see why. SW guns just keep going up, the cheap guns are throw away junk.
wait a minute, now i agree thar S-W makes great pistols, as does Ruger. i have many of both in the past and would buy another if the right deal came along. i have also had several Taurus made pistols, and they are very good guns in their own right. i own one right now and shoot it quite a lot. works very well and hits where i aim it. (Taurus 44 mag Tracker) Taurus also has a lifetime warranty, and will honor it on any gun made after 1984.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #19

You can buy Ruger 6 series revolvers used for $300. They are built like a tank and will last your lifetime....and then some
Matt

Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We've mostly been talking DA here, but there are also some very nice SA offerings in the OP's price range...Vaquero, Blackhawk, etc.

Be Well.