I'm in a fix
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I'm in a fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default I'm in a fix

I broke out the M-28 today and finished off half a box of .38s. While cleaning her, I noticed some small spots of rust forming on the frame, just above the trigger where I rest my finger before I let her bark. Now...... before you sentence me to a plastic gun hell, is there anything I can do to stop this? In all fairness, I have been told in the past I have a high PH and then that might be a a problem for me with blued guns. I really don't want to spend the money and have some super finish put on. Am I to become, "The Gloved One, Too"?

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 04:28 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Wipe it down with Fluid Film and see how it does.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Is that a name brand or something I have to do behind the barn?

"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Rust Protection: Fluid Film vs. XF7 vs. WD-40

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks, I'll see if I can pick some up.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKSlinger View Post
I broke out the M-28 today and finished off half a box of .38s. While cleaning her, I noticed some small spots of rust forming on the frame, just above the trigger where I rest my finger before I let her bark. Now...... before you sentence me to a plastic gun hell, is there anything I can do to stop this? In all fairness, I have been told in the past I have a high PH and then that might be a a problem for me with blued guns. I really don't want to spend the money and have some super finish put on. Am I to become, "The Gloved One, Too"?
I have a friend that's a knifemaker and he waxes all his knives before a show. He says it helps protect the high carbon steel blades from the sweat, fingerprints etc form the hundreds of folks that will be handling them. I think he just uses regular car wax. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

BTW I have the same problem as you. I tend to be highly corrosive to blue guns. I buy the silicon impregnated rags "reel cloth" and wipe all my guns after a range session and haven't had any problems with rust forming on them.

Last edited by Wambli; 05-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I have a friend that's a knifemaker and he waxes all his knives before a show. He says it helps protect the high carbon steel blades from the sweat, fingerprints etc form the hundreds of folks that will be handling them. I think he just uses regular car wax. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.
About 12 years ago there were two guys at the big gunshow selling "gun wax". I stopped to see what they had going on, and they gave a demonstration. They had a pile of nice blued rifles and a 55gallon drum. They would wax a gun, hold it over the drum and pour water on it. The water beaded off, fast. Then they would rub it with steel wool and do it again. Still beaded. They had figured out a carnauba blend that was hard to strip off.

A great concept that never caught on.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post

BTW I have the same problem as you. I tend to be highly corrosive to blue guns. I buy the silicon impregnated rags "reel cloth" and wipe all my guns after a range session and haven't had any problems with rust forming on them.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the reel cloth.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2164 Times on 1178 Posts
Likes Given: 783

I learned years ago that the only knives I can carry are stainless steel. A high carbon blade will rust in my pocket in no time. Funny how metal reacts differently to different people.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-29-2011, 03:24 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

So far, I haven't found a damn thing funny about it. But I know what ya mean.