Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   I'm in a fix (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/im-fix-43022/)

HKSlinger 05-26-2011 04:25 AM

I'm in a fix

I broke out the M-28 today and finished off half a box of .38s. While cleaning her, I noticed some small spots of rust forming on the frame, just above the trigger where I rest my finger before I let her bark. Now...... before you sentence me to a plastic gun hell, is there anything I can do to stop this? In all fairness, I have been told in the past I have a high PH and then that might be a a problem for me with blued guns. I really don't want to spend the money and have some super finish put on. Am I to become, "The Gloved One, Too"? :eek:

M14sRock 05-26-2011 05:28 AM

Wipe it down with Fluid Film and see how it does.

HKSlinger 05-26-2011 06:16 AM

Is that a name brand or something I have to do behind the barn? :eek:

canebrake 05-26-2011 06:22 AM

Rust Protection: Fluid Film vs. XF7 vs. WD-40

HKSlinger 05-26-2011 03:43 PM

Thanks, I'll see if I can pick some up.

Wambli 05-28-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKSlinger (Post 512075)
I broke out the M-28 today and finished off half a box of .38s. While cleaning her, I noticed some small spots of rust forming on the frame, just above the trigger where I rest my finger before I let her bark. Now...... before you sentence me to a plastic gun hell, is there anything I can do to stop this? In all fairness, I have been told in the past I have a high PH and then that might be a a problem for me with blued guns. I really don't want to spend the money and have some super finish put on. Am I to become, "The Gloved One, Too"? :eek:

I have a friend that's a knifemaker and he waxes all his knives before a show. He says it helps protect the high carbon steel blades from the sweat, fingerprints etc form the hundreds of folks that will be handling them. I think he just uses regular car wax. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

BTW I have the same problem as you. I tend to be highly corrosive to blue guns. I buy the silicon impregnated rags "reel cloth" and wipe all my guns after a range session and haven't had any problems with rust forming on them.

M14sRock 05-28-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 513418)
I have a friend that's a knifemaker and he waxes all his knives before a show. He says it helps protect the high carbon steel blades from the sweat, fingerprints etc form the hundreds of folks that will be handling them. I think he just uses regular car wax. Next time I talk to him I'll ask.

About 12 years ago there were two guys at the big gunshow selling "gun wax". I stopped to see what they had going on, and they gave a demonstration. They had a pile of nice blued rifles and a 55gallon drum. They would wax a gun, hold it over the drum and pour water on it. The water beaded off, fast. Then they would rub it with steel wool and do it again. Still beaded. They had figured out a carnauba blend that was hard to strip off.

A great concept that never caught on.

HKSlinger 05-28-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 513418)

BTW I have the same problem as you. I tend to be highly corrosive to blue guns. I buy the silicon impregnated rags "reel cloth" and wipe all my guns after a range session and haven't had any problems with rust forming on them.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the reel cloth.

ScottA 05-29-2011 12:22 AM

I learned years ago that the only knives I can carry are stainless steel. A high carbon blade will rust in my pocket in no time. Funny how metal reacts differently to different people.

HKSlinger 05-29-2011 04:24 AM

So far, I haven't found a damn thing funny about it. But I know what ya mean.