Identify this revolver?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Identify this revolver?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Identify this revolver?

I shot this revolver a few months ago and have been trying to figure out what it is. I shot .38 Special through it so it might be a .357.
I thought it was maybe a Ruger GP100 but it doesn't have a full underlug and I believe it is a 4" and don't all 4" GP100s have a full underlug in which case this isn't a GP100. It does have the same push-button cylinder release as the Ruger GP100. The sights are fixed I believe.
Please let me know if you recognize this revolver.

img_3547.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #2

Looks to be a Ruger GP100 Half lug...I don't think they make the GP100 in a half lug anymore. I thought they stopped making them in half lugs, but I could be wrong. They did make them in .38 Special and .357 Magnum but can not tell which one the pictured is chambered for. If you shot it a few months ago why can't you ask the person the actual designation of the firearm? If it was a range rental you could always go down in person and ask the employees.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ruger Service Six in stainless. [See below. The one below is stoked with +P+.] A very comforting presence when on one's side or in your hand. Available once upon a time in blue, or stainless, in .38 Special or .357, adjustable sights or fixed, short, 4", or 6" bbls., hammers with spurs, hammers without, etc. Different variation/configurations had different names: Service Six, Security Six, Speed Six, etc.). Sadly no longer made, but often encountered nib on gunbroker. IMO, ounce for ounce it was probably the best of the .38 police revolvers, but the timing was wrong and it soon found itself competing with the Wonder-9s for market share. The Redhawks and the GPs are descendants of these.

ruger2.jpg  

Last edited by superc; 08-03-2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: words added

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yup. Ruger Service Six. I've got one in short barrel 357 blued. Good solid
revolvers, and pretty darned affordable on the used market.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Thanks for all the responses! It belongs to a friend of mine and I couldn't contact him at the time but I was dying to know what revolver that was.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Damn fine gun. I bet you couldn't pry it out of his hands. I'd jump on one in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. Haven't run across one in years.