I want a good single action revolver in .357 magnum - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I want a good single action revolver in .357 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
If you do decide on a new Blackhawk (which I'd recommend) or New Vaquero, I have a set of custom made Walnut w/ bone cap, over-sized grips that I'll give you a smokin' deal on.

The stock grips for the Blackhawk are terribly uncomfortable and after market over-sized and finger grooved hasn't quite caught up to consumers yet. However, there are a few smaller makers that produce great work in over-sized and even finger-grooved. The finger-grooved will run you more, but are great to shoot with.
I am actually curious to what they look like.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 06-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The Blackhawk was the best SA wheel gun I've had.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Putting in a plug for the Ruger Bisley. Very comfortable grip, even with stout .44 mag loads.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I am actually curious to what they look like.
I'll gladly send you pics. The finger-grooved are all mine! (sorry ) but the over-sized Walnut w/ bone cap will provide a comfortable (longer/fuller) grip in similar contour to the originals. Way more comfortable though!

Lemme know!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

99 out of 100 responses will say Ruger, but if you are looking for the look and feel of a Colt, only the New Vaquero applies. The Blackhawk neither looks nor feels anything like a Colt. Depending on how much you want to spend, you have Beretta/Uberti, Taylors, Cimarron, USFA and a couple of others.
Personally, I'd recommend the EAA Bounty Hunter. Why? Because the Bounty Hunter has the Colt dimension grip frame (Colt stocks fit it), it responds to the same tuning tricks as a Colt (ask Bob Munden if you doubt that), it also has a transfer bar ignition so the cylinder can be kept fully loaded (like the Ruger and unlike some of the ones I mentioned), there is no internal lock (the Vaquero has one) and you can get one new for less than $350. Blue, color-case or nickel finishes in 4.5" or 7.5" barrel lengths.
There is one important difference; the cylinder. The Bounty Hunter cylinder is 1.76" long with recessed rims and nearly the same diameter as a S&W N-frame. That means it will handle the .357 Magnum loaded as it was originally intended, with the long-nosed 173gr SWC over a stout charge of 2400 (or whatever powder you prefer). It will also accept the Hornady 180gr XTP seated to its lower crimp groove. Neither of these will fit in the majority of any .357 Magnum revolvers, much less a Colt-clone. If you really want to get froggy, the Bounty Hunter will accept the .360 Dan Wesson by lengthening the chambers .125" (although caution should be used here as some .360 loads will push the revolver past its limits).
If you pop over to the SASS site, you'll see a lot of shootists that own several Bounty Hunters and will tell you how good they are. Paco Kelly and John Taffin speak highly of them and Taffin has visited the factory in Germany.
The Days of Wine and Roses: EAA's Bounty Hunter .357 Magnum Sixgun

Last edited by crossfire; 06-03-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #16

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The one thing I haven't heard mentioned yet as a plus for the Ruger Blackhawk is the fact that they offer a convertible .357.It comes with an extra cylinder for 9mm,so you can shoot .38s,.357s,and 9mm's out of the same gun.I have seen packs of 50 rounds of 9mm at Walmart for 10 bucks,so you could shoot alot more and have more options with the Blackhawk convertible.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

That's the first I've heard of that, but if it's for real that sounds like loads of fun!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #18

Default You can't go wrong with a Ruger Blackhawk

I have one now and wouldn't be without one. It can handle the heavy hunting loads I use on deer and for cheap practice, I use .38 special. I also have or have had Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag. S&W model 19 in .357mag (also a terrific sidearm, but not as rugged as the blackhawk) S&W model 29 and model 629 in .44mag as well as several (ok, my wife says over a dozen) in other calibers and makes. My #1 choice would be the Blackhawk (or Super Blackhawk). BTW, 158gr JHP in .357mag and 240gr JHP in .44mag both are deadly on whitetails (lung shot) inside 75 yards. As a bonus, the 9mm convertible can provide lots of cheap plinking.

Brig

Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #19

Check out this site . They have a ton of info on single actions. I did a lot of reading there before I bought my Vaquero.

Single-Actions - Home