I have some questions

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I have some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Default I have some questions

Whats the differnce between double action and single action

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

It refers to the trigger pull and what actions occur. With a single action pulling the trigger only releases the hammer. A double action first sets the hammer in a fully cocked position, action 1, then releases it, action 2.

Most modern revolvers are examples of double action whereas the 1911 is a single action. Many semi auto pistols are DA first shot SA thereafter, while some are DA only. (DAO)

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Thank you for the info

Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Examples of single-action revolvers are: Colt Single Action Army, Ruger Blackhawk, EAA Bounty Hunter. With them, they can't be fired until you first thumb-cock the hammer.
Examples of double-action revolvers are S&W Model 686, Ruger Redhawk, Taurus Model 441. They can be fired by pulling the trigger without having to be thumb-cocked first.
Single-action revolvers can be great for hunting, and for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, to defend against animals. But they expose the user to legal liability if used to defend against another human. If the shooting is in any way questionable, a prosecutor can claim you accidently shot the guy after you cocked the hammer and pointed the gun at him, and get a manslaughter conviction. That is because once a single-action revolver is cocked, it only takes a slight nudge of the trigger to fire the gun, while a double-action revolver usually takes about a 12-pound pull to cock and fire it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8882 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

There is also DAO- double action only. The hammer cannot be thumb cocked. You must pull the trigger to make hammer rise and fall. My ParaOrdnance .45 has that.

para-ordnance_c745s_companion.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #6

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There is also DAO- double action only. The hammer cannot be thumb cocked. You must pull the trigger to make hammer rise and fall. My ParaOrdnance .45 has that.

Attachment 43922
How's the DA Trigger on that Para C3? Say compared to a Smith 29?

Tack

Old 04-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Tack- the LDA has NO comparison. It is the SMOOTHEST, LIGHTEST DA pull of any gun I have ever shot, including some race guns.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Tack- the LDA has NO comparison. It is the SMOOTHEST, LIGHTEST DA pull of any gun I have ever shot, including some race guns.
C3, I have a Para Warthog, and am most happy with it. But, being a S.A. piece it does leave the loophole for a prosecutor to try to claim accidental discharge. I have been looking at the info on the LDA models, which seem to be really great. But I've heard of an idiosyncracy where if you have a light hammer blow and the cartridge doesn't fire, you can't just pull the trigger again, but you have to shuck out the offending round and feed the next one. Is that true?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

True -----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 04-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

What he said up there ^^^. However, that also applies to any striker fired handgun, such as a Luger, 1903 Colt, Astra 400, Baby Browning, Ruger Mk II, etc. I do believe, but am not certain, that also applies to Glocks, some H&Hs, Kahrs and Kel-Tecs.

I would really wonder how many SD rounds would not go bang after 1 hit, but WOULD go on the second hit. Slap, Rack, and Roll immediate action drill puts a fresh round up the spout, resets firing mechanism- possible faster than I can recock a hammer with my thumb.