I have got to STOP doing this! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I have got to STOP doing this!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 507 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 166

How well do the LCR'S shoot for you fellows? I had a 3" Chief's Special that shot amazingly well with 148 gr. Keith type bullet over 3 grains of Bullseye. A nice little woods walkin' pistol. A friend at work has an LCR and may sell it for accuracy reasons. My experience with my Rugers is directly opposite, they all shoot very well.
Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 08-19-2009, 11:41 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
How well do the LCR'S shoot for you fellows? I had a 3" Chief's Special that shot amazingly well with 148 gr. Keith type bullet over 3 grains of Bullseye. A nice little woods walkin' pistol. A friend at work has an LCR and may sell it for accuracy reasons. My experience with my Rugers is directly opposite, they all shoot very well.
Good shooting,
Jeff
I haven't gotten to the range with my LCR yet. I'll probably go tomorrow. I have several wheelguns to breakin.
(1) AirLite 329PD .44 Mag new grips to try
(2) Taurus M85 Ultra-Lite just breakin time
(3) Ruger LCR breakin time

Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #43

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Good shooting,
Jeff
If your friend is having accuracy issues I'll bet it’s due to his inability to adjust to the mouse gun trigger finger alignment. Run with this and agree that many are complaining of bad accuracy, then when he says he wants to sell it, snatch this gem up!

This little powerhouse requires an angled finger purchase of the trigger. This was a significant change for me going from a Government 1911 to a DA wheel gun. More than double trigger pull (4.5# vs 10.5#) was the first change but the oblique trigger grip required some getting used to. I have two finger placements I like to use when shooting. The first is to finesse the trigger with the first section fingerprint pad. This provides me with a more relaxed and high concentration pull for sight shooting. When I go into business mode (primarily point shooting) I will shift the position deeper into the trigger guard and use the first joint crease.

Here’s the rub;
  • The thumb web location on the 1911 is at the same level as the top of the trigger. This ergonomic location allows the shooter to pull the trigger straight back. Try it, make a fist and you will notice your index finger nail is digging into your thumb’s base. (except for Benning Boy) Trigger pull is like making a fist with only one finger.
  • The thumb web location on the Elsie Ahrrr (LCR) is much higher than the top of the trigger. This forces the trigger finger down and contacting the trigger at an oblique angle. If this is all the shooter experiences, accuracy suffers.
Here’s the engineering take on this design;
  • If a shooter complains of accuracy issues I’ll bet they are the same shooters that find the recoil of this extremely lightweight gun as no big deal. My theory is that this shooter is adjusting their grip down, dropping the thumb web lower on the weapon. When the shooter lines the thumb web up with the trigger they get that natural feel of a straight back pull. (I can’t do that because off my big hands. With the high grip I’m only holding the revolver with two fingers.)
  • Here is the physics that come into play with the ‘lower grip’. The muzzle flip is greatly exaggerated with the lower placement of the thumb web. The recoil energy is dissipated through this flip and the target hits are not as well controlled, especially double taps. When a snubnose is flaying around it makes the shooter nervous. (Or it should!)
  • With the thumb web placed where Hogue designed it to be, it locates the web closer to the barrel line than the trigger, as a matter of fact, the web is near the center of the cylinder. This grip concentrates the recoil directly back into the shooter’s locked elbows and reduces muzzle flip. With the shooter taking the recoil, you will hear them comment on the kick from this little powerhouse but a praise of accuracy.

Here is a PM i sent out the other day discussing my Elsie Ahrrr;

I love this gun! 15.9 oz loaded! But there is a downside. Recoil.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a recoil junky; just love it when it’s controllable. Short barrel wood handled 44 mags are past my limit!

My Elsie Ahrrr (LCR) w/cor-bon +Ps is near my comfort level. 38 spls are a hoot but step up to the loud stuff and you know you are sending satin's spawn downrange! I practice off hand point shooting as my prime defense shot. I like to get off a double tap before my weak side hand comes to the gun. One handing this sweetheart is manageable but near the margin. I still hit center mass with the tap but if it were a tad more powerful I wouldn't be comfortable shooting single handed. I need to find some 38 spl +P+ and see if that's my limit. I'd rather fire my 460 Rowland Government one handed.

Understand this issue disappears when you two hand this rascal. Both hands counter the extremely light weight of this little wheeler. The Hogues are the secret. They provide great purchase and these grips are what make this pocket rocket usable. DO NOT get the Crimson Trace laser grip model. All the advantages of the Hogues are gone with the hard rubber CT grips. (Plus I hate laser pointers!)

Now for the best feature of the Elsie. The DA trigger. If you are familiar with wheel guns you know what a pain the DA stacking trigger action can be. Well Ruger has a new, patented, cam action incorporated into the DA trigger function. This is not a good technical analogy of this new trigger but one that will easily explain the improvement. Think reverse curve bows and then think what an improvement compound bows made. That is how dramatic a change this new trigger action is with the LCR! You will love it and it’s the first DA revolver I consider with a linear pull trigger similar to my 1911. Well not really but such a vast improvement that I have become a wheel convert for summer carry. When your typical clothing is a bathing suit, t-shirt and flip-flops its tough to pack a 1911!

Be safe and you will enjoy this little Ruger!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks canebrake,,, I may regret this, but I will pass along this info to my friend. He thinks it is a great carry gun, he just cannot hit well with it.I know,, do the right thing even if I miss out on a deal, that's ok.I think if I get another snubbie, it'll be another Smith, if I can find one not at a premium price. The older ones are getting rather pricey it seems.
Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

By the way,, I love shooting recurves and longbows,,, as I prefer sidelock muzzleloaders to modern inlines. Just an old man I reckon.

Jeff

Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #46

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
By the way,, I love shooting recurves and longbows,,, as I prefer sidelock muzzleloaders to modern inlines. Just an old man I reckon.

Jeff
Maybe just a man with a preference.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello