I had this crazy idea... - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I had this crazy idea...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Yes the porting does make a difference in recoil. It is also louder. When I run out of 125+P I will look into 110+P for the 38. The SP101 is a heavy 25 oz empty gun for a snub. It helps on recoil. 125 is manageable, 158 is a handful and 110 is very manageable. I would not want to shoot a heavy mag load in a light snub. Check out the ballistics chart below.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
That's an excellent page. I'm gonna bookmark it. Thanks.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's truth to the thing about unreliable expansion of hollow points when under 1000 FPS?

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
That's an excellent page. I'm gonna bookmark it. Thanks.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's truth to the thing about unreliable expansion of hollow points when under 1000 FPS?

Go to Utube and you will find lots of demos. Some of the newer HP ammo has too much expansion and you lose penetration. A big problem with the 380.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

Go to Utube and you will find lots of demos. Some of the newer HP ammo has too much expansion and you lose penetration. A big problem with the 380.
Yeah I watch a lot of YouTube videos by tnoutdoors9. I just haven't picked up on a hard and fast rule yet in terms of the relationship between expansion chances and FPS.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Yeah I watch a lot of YouTube videos by tnoutdoors9. I just haven't picked up on a hard and fast rule yet in terms of the relationship between expansion chances and FPS.
It varies with the bullet design. I have found that XTP's have a good ratio. I carry a 380 at times and the XTP does not expand as much as some so it penetrates better in the 380. Others will not expand at all and over penetrate. I was ready to go to hardball when I found the XTP info.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Quote:
Well ok, maybe not the full house loads, but certain defensive loads. But that problem is precisely why I'm asking about mag-na-porting. You may still be right. Maybe MNPing won't help enough. But again, I'd like to know before I spend the money on it (which won't be anytime soon anyway).
Defence loads are what I was using. They make a slightly reduced 357 load but I have never tried it. With the exception of this reduced load ALL 357 Mag loads are FULL HOUSE, that is why it called a Magnum!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Defence loads are what I was using. They make a slightly reduced 357 load but I have never tried it. With the exception of this reduced load ALL 357 Mag loads are FULL HOUSE, that is why it called a Magnum!
I was thinkin maybe Speer Gold Dot "short barrel." I've heard it's kinda in-between 38+p and .357.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #27

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

It varies with the bullet design. I have found that XTP's have a good ratio. I carry a 380 at times and the XTP does not expand as much as some so it penetrates better in the 380. Others will not expand at all and over penetrate. I was ready to go to hardball when I found the XTP info.
I often use 180 gr. XTPs in my 4" .357 Mag. This is not a snub nose gun to be sure and, you'd probably never shoot 180 gr. slugs from a snub nose gun but, I can tell you that the XTPs do not often give much expansion at all. Usually they perform much more like super-hard cast bullets than jacketed hollow points, i.e.. more penetration.

This is not all bad. Wyoming requires that hunting bullets be "expanding" so; that rules out the hard cast bullets. The XTPs, however, because they are JHPs, qualify as "expanding" and yet offer penetration on par with the unacceptable cast bullets. This can be a very good thing if your trying to punch through heavy bone.

The very best expanding bullet I've found for the .357 is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition Gold HG. This bad boy has a hollow point like an ash tray and opens up on impact wider than anything I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years ago and I am now down to my very last box. It's almost enough to make a man cry...

None of this, of course has anything to do with bullet performance from a lightweight carry gun except that XTPs do come in lighter, more snub-friendly sized slugs. So if penetration is your goal, they may be worth a serious look.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I was thinkin maybe Speer Gold Dot "short barrel." I've heard it's kinda in-between 38+p and .357.
That is the reduced load I was refering too. I have no first hand knowledge of it. If you do try it let me know how it compares the the magnum loads please.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
I often use 180 gr. XTPs in my 4" .357 Mag. This is not a snub nose gun to be sure and, you'd probably never shoot 180 gr. slugs from a snub nose gun but, I can tell you that the XTPs do not often give much expansion at all. Usually they perform much more like super-hard cast bullets than jacketed hollow points, i.e.. more penetration.

This is not all bad. Wyoming requires that hunting bullets be "expanding" so; that rules out the hard cast bullets. The XTPs, however, because they are JHPs, qualify as "expanding" and yet offer penetration on par with the unacceptable cast bullets. This can be a very good thing if your trying to punch through heavy bone.

The very best expanding bullet I've found for the .357 is the 180 gr. Nosler Partition Gold HG. This bad boy has a hollow point like an ash tray and opens up on impact wider than anything I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it was discontinued a few years ago and I am now down to my very last box. It's almost enough to make a man cry...

None of this, of course has anything to do with bullet performance from a lightweight carry gun except that XTPs do come in lighter, more snub-friendly sized slugs. So if penetration is your goal, they may be worth a serious look.
I too use the 180 XTP's they make a good hunting load. What do you carry for a self defense load?

Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

If you do try it let me know how it compares the the magnum loads please.
Will do.

Always have clean socks.