I had this crazy idea... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I had this crazy idea...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
1.8" barrel then ported too? I am not an expert but I'd be willing to bet that the LCR in .38spl with a +p might just about match it's power with a lot less sound and recoil.
You could be right. My uncertainty is why I'm asking here if anyone has done it. Someone who has chrono'd it would be awesome.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #12

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

I plan on shooting Magnum loads often. I suppose that'll help.

However if I ever, God forbid, have to use my gun in self defense, I want every edge.

So your advice to every competition shooter or hunter who wants to get mag-na-porting on his gun is to "man up?" Just because you're having a bad day, Chain, is no reason to be a d*ck.
Chain is a dick by default it appears. No worries.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 695

I had a ported 38 spl for cc and I got rid of it after I fired it on a darkened range. You can forget a fast second shot at night. I do not recommend any ported or muzzle brake equipped pistols for defense if there is any possibility of shooting it in low light. I have an SP101 2" that I load with 110 grain mags which mitigates the recoil somewhat. I usually carry 125 grain +P in my unported 38 spl snub.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

jebsca Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

I have 2 revolvers magnaported, it makes a LOT of difference in recoil and muzzle flip. Helps stay on target, and impact on velocity and energy is negligble.

I CCW a revolver , that is as efficient as the .357.
This is mine CCW, a Charter arms Bulldog .44 spcl,
easy on recoil.

Jim

Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I had a ported 38 spl for cc and I got rid of it after I fired it on a darkened range. You can forget a fast second shot at night. I do not recommend any ported or muzzle brake equipped pistols for defense if there is any possibility of shooting it in low light. I have an SP101 2" that I load with 110 grain mags which mitigates the recoil somewhat. I usually carry 125 grain +P in my unported 38 spl snub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
I have 2 revolvers magnaported, it makes a LOT of difference in recoil and muzzle flip. Helps stay on target, and impact on velocity and energy is negligble.

I CCW a revolver , that is as efficient as the .357.
This is mine CCW, a Charter arms Bulldog .44 spcl,
easy on recoil.

Jim
Thankes for the feedback guys. That's the kind of experiences I was looking for.

I guess what I could do to try to mitigate the muzzle flash issue is carry a different gun when I know I'm gonna be out and about in poor light conditions.

JTJ, aside from the muzzle flash issue, did it help, as far as you could tell, with muzzle flip?

phideaux, interesting idea with the 44spc.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2080 Times on 1230 Posts
Likes Given: 1022

You can't shot the full house 357 loads in the super lite j-frame. My son bought one a few years ago and we tried to shoot the 357's and no matter how well you tried to hold the gun it would twist and rise with every shot and you had to totally re grip for the next shot. 38+p's no problem.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You can't shot the full house 357 loads in the super lite j-frame. My son bought one a few years ago and we tried to shoot the 357's and no matter how well you tried to hold the gun it would twist and rise with every shot and you had to totally re grip for the next shot. 38+p's no problem.
Well ok, maybe not the full house loads, but certain defensive loads. But that problem is precisely why I'm asking about mag-na-porting. You may still be right. Maybe MNPing won't help enough. But again, I'd like to know before I spend the money on it (which won't be anytime soon anyway).

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

May I interject....
The type of grips you have on a snub nose, using full load magnums, will make more, or as much difference , in your hold ,during and after shooting, than anything else.

Jim

Old 08-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
May I interject....
The type of grips you have on a snub nose, using full load magnums, will make more, or as much difference , in your hold ,during and after shooting, than anything else.

Jim
I have some good rubber Pachmayer grips on my current snubbie and its very comfortable. Of course, its a stainless gun its slightly heavier than the ultra light ones.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2417 Times on 1309 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Thankes for the feedback guys. That's the kind of experiences I was looking for.

I guess what I could do to try to mitigate the muzzle flash issue is carry a different gun when I know I'm gonna be out and about in poor light conditions.

JTJ, aside from the muzzle flash issue, did it help, as far as you could tell, with muzzle flip?

phideaux, interesting idea with the 44spc.
Yes the porting does make a difference in recoil. It is also louder. When I run out of 125+P I will look into 110+P for the 38. The SP101 is a heavy 25 oz empty gun for a snub. It helps on recoil. 125 is manageable, 158 is a handful and 110 is very manageable. I would not want to shoot a heavy mag load in a light snub. Check out the ballistics chart below.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.