Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   I had this crazy idea... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/i-had-crazy-idea-95586/)

JW357 08-17-2013 03:29 AM

So. I plan on CCing a revolver in the future, when I finally get my permit here in Kalifornia. I was thinking either a Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum or a S&W J frame, also .357.

The gun isn't important, though. Not yet.

Here's my idea. I wanna get an ultra-light-weight wheel gun, for comfort when carrying. I also want to be able to train with my defensive loads, in .357 Magnum, or a comparable reload, without breaking my wrist (shooting hot .357s in a lot-weight snubbie).

So I had the idea to get it mag-na-ported. Have any of you done this in a snubbie? Is this crazy talk? I don't know much about mag-na-porting, but I went to their website and did a bit of research. They claim there's no drop in velocity. True? How much does it actually reduce felt recoil in these airweights?

Am I crazy for thinking of mag-na-porting in a light-weight snubbie wheel gun?

therewolf 08-17-2013 03:38 AM

There's some credibility to your idea, as you

can chamber, and fire, the milder .38 Specials

from a .357. If you're talking about installing

a muzzle break on a snubbie,

you simply don't have enough barrel. You

would hazard your body in the process, for

a minimal return.

JW357 08-17-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
There's some credibility to your idea, as you

can chamber, and fire, the milder .38 Specials

from a .357. If you're talking about installing

a muzzle break on a snubbie,

you simply don't have enough barrel. You

would hazard your body in the process, for

a minimal return.

Not a muzzle break, its like drilling holes.

Like the snubbie in the picture here.

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

c3shooter 08-17-2013 09:11 AM

IMHO, more than reducing recoil, it reduces muzzle jump, allowing you to stay on target for a faster second shot.

Doc3402 08-17-2013 10:08 AM

You already have a ballistics problem with a very short barrel. Do you really want to reduce velocity and muzzle energy even more by venting some of the powder charge before the projectile gets out of the barrel?

If it was me I would go with a heavier snubby and a better belt and holster to distribute the extra weight. I occasionally carry a stainless S&W mod 60, and even with my small frame it is barely noticeable after 5 minutes. After 10 minutes I forget it's there unless I transition from standing to sitting. The same goes for my Glock 27. I do tend to notice my 1911 in spite of good leather, but I still carry it in the winter.

therewolf 08-17-2013 05:57 PM

Try to find someone with a ported

snubbie and see what they think.

Personally, I think you're already

ahead of the game, having a caliber

which chambers the milder round.

And there are a LOT of great SS

.357 snubbies out there.

JW357 08-17-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 1338309)
Try to find someone with a ported

snubbie and see what they think.

Personally, I think you're already

ahead of the game, having a caliber

which chambers the milder round.

And there are a LOT of great SS

.357 snubbies out there.

I've already got a S&W 66-2 with a 2.5" bbl. I could use that if I wanted to. I'd just like a light weight for CC. Is also like quicker follow on shots when shooting magnum loads.

ninjatoth 08-17-2013 06:46 PM

1.8" barrel then ported too? I am not an expert but I'd be willing to bet that the LCR in .38spl with a +p might just about match it's power with a lot less sound and recoil.

Chainfire 08-17-2013 09:51 PM

How about just manning up, and work on your hand strength. They make exercisers you can carry in your pocket that will help a bunch.

JW357 08-17-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 1338542)
How about just manning up, and work on your hand strength. They make exercisers you can carry in your pocket that will help a bunch.

I plan on shooting Magnum loads often. I suppose that'll help.

However if I ever, God forbid, have to use my gun in self defense, I want every edge.

So your advice to every competition shooter or hunter who wants to get mag-na-porting on his gun is to "man up?" Just because you're having a bad day, Chain, is no reason to be a d*ck.