I found this very old gun....please help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I found this very old gun....please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I found this very old gun....please help

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello, I need some help with this gun that was found at my grandmother's house. She said it was found in my great great mother's chest.

I has 4 serial numbers, my guess was that since it only had 4 serial numbers it was really old. It says US Revolver Co on the top of the gun.

Any info at all would be helpful. Year? Value? It was found with .38 ammo dated 1939.

Thanks in advance.
JT

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9212 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

(SMACK!) Next time give us a photo of the TOP, since that is where the markings are!

US Revolver was a secondary brand of the Iver Johnson Company. They were distinguished by the markings, unfluted cylinder, and did not use the transfer bar firing system. They were made from 1911 to 1933. Since about 10,000 were made each year for the first 10 years, yours is likely a first year gun. They originally sold for about $6.00 (which was a fair bit of money in 1911) originally in .22 rimfire, 32 S&W and .38 S&W. .32 S&W Long was added in later years, they were in blued or nickel plated, with hard rubber grips. There is also a hammerless version, top break. Yours is the solid frame model.

PS- .38 S&W is NOT .38 Special!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.