I Found my Gun!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I Found my Gun!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You will not have problems out of either one. I have an SP101 and it is reliable as a rock. Why would you have to settle for the GP100? They cost about the same....
Well from what I have seen, the SP101 isn't that old so used ones will be hard to find.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #12

The sp101 is 10 years old. You will love the gun. I bought one for my wife about ten years ago. It is a very well built little revolver. If you want one in 357, I doubt you'll have a problem. In that new 327, will be alot tougher. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #13

Does anyone have any idea what I can get a used SP101 for???

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't speak for used prices, but I just picked up a new GP100 6" stainless for $467.86 at my local dealer. I'd imagine a 3" SP101 would be somewhat cheaper. Ruger's website shows the SP101 as cheaper than any GP100 (list price).

Last edited by russ; 01-16-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #15

Well it's been a while since I first chimed in. I still haven't bought the SP101 as none of the dealers in my state have them. If I go out of state I have to have it shipped to an FFL and not many want to work with me because they say they can order me one in. When I tell them too they say they can't get them. I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking of getting my own FFL and just getting it direct.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If I ever need to do serious social work with a handgun I hope I'm carrying my Security Six. Nice size, nice weight, and I can hit a walnut at 30 yards with it. Seriously thinking about selling the rest of my non-bear pistols and just carrying it. But I love those 1911s. Such a satisfying piece of machinery.
p.s. buy a Shotgun News to check for used prices. Or check Gunbroker.

Last edited by freefall; 03-19-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flav View Post
Well it's been a while since I first chimed in. I still haven't bought the SP101 as none of the dealers in my state have them. If I go out of state I have to have it shipped to an FFL and not many want to work with me because they say they can order me one in. When I tell them too they say they can't get them. I just don't know what to do. I'm thinking of getting my own FFL and just getting it direct.

What state do you live in? I find it hard to believe that there are no FFL's in your area that would not do a transfer for you from out of state unless your home state prohibits it...?

Have you checked what alls involved getting an 01 FFL?? Bad idea if all your wanting to do is avoid a hassle. The BATF is strict when approving new dealer licenses. You have to actually HAVE a legitimate business with regular business hours etc.. The fee is minimal for the FFL itself, however, getting your business license and getting incorperated etc may cost you more than you realize. And maintaining the proper business following BATF guidlines is a hassle that you may not want to incure..

Places like gunbroker and auctionarms maintain a list of FFL's who will provide transfers for pretty much any state in the union. I advise you check them out. I would also suggest the GP100 over the SP101.. Just my opinion but I believe the GP to be a stronger gun all around.

Just my .02

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Last edited by TheOldMan; 03-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
What state do you live in? I find it hard to believe that there are no FFL's in your area that would not do a transfer for you from out of state unless your home state prohibits it...?

Have you checked what alls involved getting an 01 FFL?? Bad idea if all your wanting to do is avoid a hassle. The BATF is strict when approving new dealer licenses. You have to actually HAVE a legitimate business with regular business hours etc.. The fee is minimal for the FFL itself, however, getting your business license and getting incorperated etc may cost you more than you realize. And maintaining the proper business following BATF guidlines is a hassle that you may not want to incure..

Places like gunbroker and auctionarms maintain a list of FFL's who will provide transfers for pretty much any state in the union. I advise you check them out. I would also suggest the GP100 over the SP101.. Just my opinion but I believe the GP to be a stronger gun all around.

Just my .02

I live in DE and yes when I asked all the FFL's that I talked to they all told me they don't want to do transfer from other dealers and that they can get the gun for me. When I asked them too they tell me they will call me when one comes in. I never got a call. I finally called one yesterday and they had the SP 101. When I got there, the price was different then what I was told earlier. I started to look it over and boy it was a pretty gun. I got scared and didn't get it. I just didn't want a revolver as my first home gun because I had babies. Well they are 5 and 3. I know I could have put a trigger guard on it but then it defeats the purpose of having a defense gun. While I was there I was determine to get a gun. I have waited some four months. I had decided to get the Taurus PT 24/7 DS. It was between that or the PT 140. The PT 140 was too small for my hand so I didn't like it. Nice looking gun though but only 20 bucks cheaper then the PT 24/7. I will post up the rest of the info on the Semi-Auto thread. Thanks again for all the input guys and I will get an SP 101 by the end of summer and when I do I will post up...

Old 04-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I hope you don't have buyers remorse by buying something that really isn't what you wanted. I've done that more than I like to admit. I bought an RG 44 mag DA one time because I wanted a DA 44 mag and S&W model 29's were just not available. Can't believe that I sort of did it again in buying a XDm 40, it's a great weapon and I really like the high cap magazines but I still have a hard time accepting the polymer frame. It's kind of like having something stuck in my throat and knowing that wouldn't have been a problem if I had just gotten some form of a quality 1911. Don't give up on getting the Ruger, it will make you feel better to get one. All the years after I got my Redhawk I am still very happy to own it. By the way, if you run across a Security Six in great condition, don't overlook it as they are an excellent handgun. I owned one many years ago and the only reason I don't have it now is that I wanted to go to .44 mag handguns.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

OK Flav, it seems you're new(er) to guns so here you go.

What is the firearm's intended purpose?

If it is a woods gun and open carry is an option, go with a GP100.

If it is for CCW/personal defense, go with the SP101.

Both are great guns and their design differs for good reasons. I'm confident in saying that any Ruger revolver you get will be in use long after you have been buried. Keep in mind that the GP100 and SP101 aren't the only solid DA Rugers that have been produced. You can, and very well should find a good used Ruger DA in .357.

I can't think of any reason to deviate from the .357. I also don't understand why your local shops won't help you out. If they can't get it for you tell them that you are having a used firearm sent to them and ask how much they charge for a transfer. That should be the end of the discussion.

Get a wheelie and then show us it ! ! !