Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > I am having a hard time finding the perfect single action six gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I am having a hard time finding the perfect single action six gun

First I must say that I LOVE the original Colt Single Action Army/Peacemaker, and I had decided to try and stick to the original factory specs because I liked the original gun.

I wanted to stick to the original .45LC cartridge, but after doing research I read that the SA six guns built around the original specs are not designed to withstand the power from hot loads. I do like the factory .45LC rounds, but I would also like to be able to fire hotter loads than the factory rounds. And for the record, I do not plan on hand loading anytime soon.

The 3rd gen Colt SAA has an option to come chambered in .357 mag, and I am willing to go with the .357 and stray away from the original .45LC because I hear that the .357 can shoot hot loads without damaging the gun. I was trying to stay away from the newer Colts because I hear they have reliability issues and are not built as well as previous gen SAAs.

So far I have been a real big fan of US Firearms. They took over the original Colt factory, and I hear they make better SAAs than Colt ever did, but they don't offer it chambered in .357. They do offer a low profile hammer on limited models, which I would prefer because the original spec is almost too high for my thumb to reach, but it looks like it is only offered with a finish that doesn't interest me.

Aside from Colt and US Firearms, I have not looked into any other manufacturers. I don't want a cheap knock off, I would rather spend more money to get a high quality product.

I am looking for a high quality SAA. Preferably .357mag with a low profile hammer, does anybody have any recommendations?

Last edited by SmokinDonuts; 03-19-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: I forgot to add the last line to the post

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about a Ruger SASS Vauqero, here's mine:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I second looking at the Rugers.

May I ask why SA only? DA revolvers can be shot in SA. I normally do so.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

I already have access to 2 nice S&W six guns, both are double action too. One is a .38sp with a 6 inch barrel, the other being a .357mag with a 4 inch barrel.

I have always liked the look of the old Colt SAA, and I liked it even more when I finally got to hold one for the first time. The Ruger Vaquero is a nice tribute to the classic six gun, it has that same look that drew me into the Colt SAA, but the Ruger just can't replicate the 4 clicks you hear when you pull back the hammer on the SAA. It may only be a small detail, but it is part of what makes the SAA what it is.

I have not completely dismissed the Vaquero. If I were to get a Vaquero, I would get it chambered in .45LC because I hear that the Vaquero can handle the hot loads that nobody would dare try in a Colt SAA.

I would REALLY like a SAA that can fire hot .45LC or .44SP loads, and that is where the Vaquero jumps in, but I think I would just get a .357mag Colt SAA before buying the Vaquero. Eventually I would just buy both but I can only expand the collection one at a time.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ruger .357 Blackhawk here. I love mine!!

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #6

Default Bisley

Here's my Cimarron Bisley in .357
I love the low profile hammer and being able to target shoot the less expensive .38 is nice, too.
(sorry the pic is so big, i'm not sure how to shrink it)

dsc_0036.jpg  

“You’ve got red on you.” — Shaun of the Dead

Old 03-19-2011, 11:17 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

The most practical and reliable choice in this matter is the Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Vaquero. They are solid and well built. For a handy sidearm, the Vaquero is fine with its fixed sights, however I would go with the Blackhawk if you want to tune it to shoot paper targets.

For the right price I might let go of this Blackhawk in .44 mag 50th anny. edition:

p1010200.jpg  

Old 03-19-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Default Usfa

Once you get your hands on a USFA SAA, nothing else (short of an old, original Colt) will suffice. Just do it.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
If I were to get a Vaquero, I would get it chambered in .45LC because I hear that the Vaquero can handle the hot loads that nobody would dare try in a Colt SAA.
The old Vaquero will but it's basically a Blackhawk with fixed sights. The new Vaq wont handle anything any hotter than a Colt SAA or a clone will. The new Vaq kinda resembles a Colt but it has that screwed up Ruger lock work. No four clicks when you cock it and there's no half cock loading notch. With the hammer down opening the loading gate lets the cylinder free wheel. You're not going to find anything in the size and style of a Colt SAA that will take hot .45 Colt loads.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If your not set on the caliber, I have a .44mag Super Blackhawk in 7.5" and it drives nails, is a Kick to shoot (no punn intended ) and is a very nice quality piece. It also gets a lot of attention at the range too if you like standing out a bit There are also less powerful rounds you can shoot out of it too if you need to give your wrist a bit of a break from the recoil...