Hy Hunter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Hy Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Hy Hunter

I'm looking to have a .357 Hy Hunter Six Shooter refinished/reblued for a reasonable price. It's a terrific six shooter that I would like to keep a long, long time but the finish is wearing thin. any suggestions or referrals?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
I'm looking to have a .357 Hy Hunter Six Shooter refinished/reblued for a reasonable price. It's a terrific six shooter that I would like to keep a long, long time but the finish is wearing thin. any suggestions or referrals?
I'd look around my home turf if I were you. You should have a gunsmith locally who can do decent blue jobs. Sending it out of town is going to add about $70 or so to the price to cover shipping.

While I'm here, here's a photo of one I've been working on:

The brass trigger guard is Uberti, the grips are home made.

Bob Wright

Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I'd look around my home turf if I were you. You should have a gunsmith locally who can do decent blue jobs. Sending it out of town is going to add about $70 or so to the price to cover shipping.

While I'm here, here's a photo of one I've been working on:

The brass trigger guard is Uberti, the grips are home made.

Bob Wright
Are alot of SAA grip frame screw patterns a universal fit? Colt to Uberti to Ruger to Cimarron to.........?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #4

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrich3 View Post
Are alot of SAA grip frame screw patterns a universal fit? Colt to Uberti to Ruger to Cimarron to.........?
From what I know, Uberti fits Colts and the Hy Hunter. (Cimarron is Uberti) In the case of my Hy Hunter, the trigger guard was Uberti, the backstrap for a Hy Hunter.

Since the trigger guard was Uberti, I had to fit a Uberti mainspring screw, since I couldn't use the Hy Hunter screw. All the screws into the frame were Hy Hunter. And for the most part, Hy Hunter and Hawes parts are interchangeable.

I had to chase the threads for the mainspring screw, and was surprised to find they were 10-24 UNC.

I had the Uberti trigger guard in my parts box, and I tried it with the original backstrap first, before ordering the brass backstrap. Not too, that the screw at the butt has to be a Uberti part:

The parts were not a perfect match, had to do a little filing.
Before:

And, after a little fitting:

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; 01-14-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

does anyone have a manual for the Hy Hunter frontier model SLLR 22lr pistol? Have lost mine in move . Thanks