Hunting with 3" .357 - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Hunting with 3" .357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

The links are slow on my iPhone

I found this:
http://mdah.state.ms.us/arrec/digital_archives/s34/pdf/1099.pdf

And no, it doesn't seem right. It's pretty much saying I can hunt deer with a .22 pistol

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Scratch,

Looks to me like they do not have a centerfire caliber or barrel length requirement. Only that the bullet must be of an expansion type bullet. Like soft led tip, Jacketed expansion round, hollow point and etc. I have a friend that is a law enforcement officer for the Mississippi State Police. I have sent him and another guy I know at Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife an e-mail. If you do not find out prior I will get you the confirmed answer.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Scratch,

Looks to me like they do not have a centerfire caliber or barrel length requirement. Only that the bullet must be of an expansion type bullet. Like soft led tip, Jacketed expansion round, hollow point and etc. I have a friend that is a law enforcement officer for the Mississippi State Police. I have sent him and another guy I know at Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife an e-mail. If you do not find out prior I will get you the confirmed answer.

Thanks for the help. I was also considering BB 158 gr jhc.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Anything 158gr and up and on the hot side should probably do you just fine. By far your biggest challenge (with any handgun hunting, really) will be accuracy. Not sure how well you can shoot, but I'm pretty good and at 25 yards even without the stress of hunting I'd have a tough time keeping my shots inside 5" off hand with full-house magnum hunting loads in what is a pretty small (by hunting standards) handgun.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Anything 158gr and up and on the hot side should probably do you just fine. By far your biggest challenge (with any handgun hunting, really) will be accuracy. Not sure how well you can shoot, but I'm pretty good and at 25 yards even without the stress of hunting I'd have a tough time keeping my shots inside 5" off hand with full-house magnum hunting loads in what is a pretty small (by hunting standards) handgun.
I'm pretty good just as long as the gun doesn't have a ******* striker. I know a spot where deer frequent that's very thick so range won't be a huge factor.