Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   How Do I Know If My Butt's Sq. Or Rd. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/how-do-i-know-if-my-butts-sq-rd-37875/)

HKSlinger 02-03-2011 08:30 PM

How Do I Know If My Butt's Sq. Or Rd.

First of all, go ahead and get your funny, abusive comments out of the way.......... Okay, I finally found a S&W 28. I'll post pics when it arrives. What I'd like to know is, how do I know if its a sq. or rd. butt. I thought an N frame was an N frame. I plan on putting Hogue's on it, but they offer both.
Sincerely,
Confused in Arkansas

VitSports6 02-03-2011 08:49 PM

Google is your friend...

Square or Round butt?

Best of luck

HKSlinger 02-03-2011 09:35 PM

Hey, thanks. Very helpful. Next time I need something Googled, I'll look ya up.;)

VitSports6 02-03-2011 10:08 PM

No worries, I hope its a rounded one for you.

EDIT, Why, I don't know, Just looks different.

boatme98 02-03-2011 10:22 PM

Ask your cellmate? :eek:

HKSlinger 02-03-2011 11:29 PM

Oh yeah, she's got a R O U N D one.:D

trip286 02-03-2011 11:49 PM

you cant really tell without looking. trying not to sound sarcastic, and I promise that I'm not being sarcastic, but you have to look. if the butt end of the grip is pointy, such as the corner of a square, then you have a square butt. if the butt is rounded off, such as the bird's heads on single action revolvers, then it is rounded (not quite as pronounced as that though, but not far from it). as far as I know there isn't a way to tell by looking at the serial, although I believe that some particular model numbers only come with one or the other. there are sites that sell custom grips, and some of these have side by side pictures of rounds and squares for comparison.

ALL j frames after a certain date, around 1990 I think, are round butt. these are the only particular frame size that I know for sure of though

HKSlinger 02-04-2011 12:23 AM

Cool,thanks.

skippy45 02-16-2011 05:01 PM

Round or square

If you fall off a chair your butt is probably more round than square. :D
Sorry, but somebody had to go down that very short road. ;)
Ba-Dump-Bump!
__________________________________________________ ________
Shooting revolver is somewhat like dating a full figured, less than stunning woman
-it's comfortable
-it will almost never disappoint you
-it's not finicky
-you can feed it nearly anything
-it doesn't care much about OAL
-it's stout, reliable, and durable
-you don't need to clean it much
-you can dryfire it all the time

dallascj 02-17-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatme98 (Post 436434)
Ask your cellmate? :eek:

That was hilarious! I was gonna say 'look in the mirror', but yours is much more creative.

On a serious note, some of the grip websites show pictures of each to help illustrate. As was said earlier, you need to remove the grips as sometimes the grips mask the frame's true shape, but a square frame is shaped more like a single-action cowboy gun, and a round butt is somewhat like a banana.