Hotter Than Normal 454 Rounds?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Hotter Than Normal 454 Rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hotter Than Normal 454 Rounds?

Last weekend I ran a box of Cor-Bons (335g at 1,600fps) through the SRH. I've shot this round multiple times and like it.

This box of bullets just "looked" different, and I noticed it immediately. The crimp around the bullet was much deeper and pronounced than I'd seen before, and the brass looked weathered, like it had been in damp conditions. Every other box I've bought looks different than these.

This gun has always kicked, but nothing outrageous. Monday it gave me all I could handle and my hand is still pretty darn sore 2 days later. I've shot more than I did Monday in the past and never had my hand walk away sore before. Is it possible that this was a "hotter" batch of bullets than normal and the tollerances on these were a little outside of what is typical for this round?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bullet or Cartridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatintheHat View Post
Last weekend I ran a box of Cor-Bons (335g at 1,600fps) through the SRH. I've shot this round multiple times and like it.

This box of bullets just "looked" different, and I noticed it immediately. The crimp around the bullet was much deeper and pronounced than I'd seen before, and the brass looked weathered, like it had been in damp conditions. Every other box I've bought looks different than these.

This gun has always kicked, but nothing outrageous. Monday it gave me all I could handle and my hand is still pretty darn sore 2 days later. I've shot more than I did Monday in the past and never had my hand walk away sore before. Is it possible that this was a "hotter" batch of bullets than normal and the tollerances on these were a little outside of what is typical for this round?
Was the bullet different or was the Cartridge different?

NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
In God We (I) Trust

Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Almost all Cor-Bon ammunition is loaded hotter than the standard ammunition,in every caliber.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Maybe you're just getting older?

Like me?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
jyo

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

454s are hot! I can't imagine anyone would load them hotter---I use a shooting glove with a padded palm---makes a huge difference.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #6

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If those rounds look different from other box's of corbons you have shot contact there CS folks and maybe you spend seen them a couple close ups and see what they have to say. It would be good if you are a buddy had a few of there older stuff to show the difference. Is there a chance that the rounds you have are from some middle mans old stock. bend hang'n around to long. Maybe Corbon will send you some new product.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
454s are hot! I can't imagine anyone would load them hotter---I use a shooting glove with a padded palm---makes a huge difference.
Great idea. I'm getting older, and softer, and some of these rounds pound my hand to death.