Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > HnR problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default HnR problem

had a fun weekend shooting tons of ammo and targets. however we encountered one mishap.

my revolver busted. the little parts came out of the hammer area.

my brother was using it. fired 3 rounds then it locked up. the cylnder would not budge. it took him pushing the pin and pulling the rod and me working the hammer,cylinder, and trigger to get the cylinder to release. after release the little tiny hook piece fell into my hand. the other three came out apon being home.

so my questions?
what are the peices?
what are the availabilty of the replacement parts?
what are the costs of parts?
is this something i can do?
should i scrap the revolver?

hr1.jpg   hr2.jpg   hr3.jpg  
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 07-10-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: 4got the pics

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 969 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Is it a 949 or a sportsman or what ? I have 2 matching 949 and they are semi ok guns but my sportsman is dangerous as hell .
Numrich has a good deal of parts . Unless a pin or screw came out then something broke . If you cant fix it or want to fix it , I may buy it off you , just pm me

ok pics did not load at first , Let me go look at my 949s and see what you got going on

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

i think its a 686 i'll double check

of a grieving mother

Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #4

ok yours is different but the P shaped item appears to be the transfer bar , the next down rotates the cylinder , the last one , i think holds the cylinder in place and comes up into the small notches on the cylinder but its broke , the rest is pro jammed in the gun , that pin may have also sheared .

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8439 Times on 3661 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

First, those are parts of your lockwork, and yes, the lifter in that pic is broken- second, take it to a gunsmith.

That is not said to slam you in any way- those are solid frame revolvers, and unless you have learned how to assemble pieces parts, slide them into a solid frame, and blindly get them in the exact right spot before placing the retaining pins, you are likely to run out of profanity before getting it back together. Really. I own a couple that I will not work on, and I have to ply my smith with booze to get him to do it.

Good news- SOME used parts available. Bad news- that is not a really high dollar gun- parts and labor MAY be more than a replacement- but take it to a smith before you toss it.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #6

I was a bit off , it seems all of those parts work the cylinder up '' rotate it ''but here is a diagram and parts list
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7910

Old 07-10-2012, 01:18 AM   #7

Looks like you need 18 27 28 possibly 49 and or 50 . C3 is right , a solid frame can be an experience . Go figure the gun is worth about 100-150 ish , maybe and a smith may run about 50-85 and hour .
But it looks like the pin that holds all 3 in either bent or broke when the lifter #18 gave up the ghost and that caused the rest to come running out of the wood work .
You will need a good light , good tweezers , a very small punch , maybe a pick and a hook and about 3-5 hands , your tongue must also be hanging out just right .
If all else fails I give a good home to neglected , broken and un-appreciated guns
I fix them and hold them and pet them and call them George.

If you can fix it will be a professional by the time your done with it and feel better knowing you tackled a fairly difficult task and made it work again .

The transfurry bar #18 slides up between the firing pin and hammer WHEN you pull the trigger , kinda a safety deal , my 949 has the firing pin on the hammer . 27 and 28 work off the spring on 27 and thats where the real pain in the ass comes in to play . Very tedious work and should take you no less than 4-5 hours for your 1st time around

Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for great info. Gave me a giggle too. I have some contemplating to do.

of a grieving mother

Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As best I can tell peice 28 broke and the others fell out due to the lack of peice 28

of a grieving mother