Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Heritage Rough Rider issues (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/heritage-rough-rider-issues-45382/)

Ruzai 07-18-2011 01:08 AM

Heritage Rough Rider issues

I've got an old Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr that my grandfather baught a few years ago and while looking it over I found that it doesnt always catch on the half cock and let me spin the cylinder to eject the rounds in the cylinder. I'm not entirely too familiar with single-action revolvers but this one seems to be a bit odd in more than one way (including the fact it has a manual safety).
I cant get the hammer to catch on the half cock or full cock if its pointed upward any. I'm guessing that's not normal, I have a feeling I'm missing a spring or something because its like gravity has to let the trigger fall to be able tto catch onto the half cock and full cock.
Any suggestions on what to do to fix the problem, if it even is a problem?

danf_fl 07-18-2011 02:07 AM

Definitely a problem. Don't try to shoot it. You can order parts from their web site. Look carefully at the schematic there and you will see how to take it apart.
Some of us have a little experience with those.

hiwall 07-18-2011 02:56 AM

These were very poorly made guns. If you plan on fixing it and keeping it, I would say buy extra parts. hammer, trigger, trigger spring, hand w/spring, locking bolt are the common broken/wore out parts. Sounds like you might need the first three right now.

Ruzai 07-18-2011 03:03 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. He was insistent on it being just fine but it just didnt seem right to me. I knew the gun was poorly made but its only for shooting vermin in the yard for my grandfather. I think he was looking for the cheapest gun he could afford, looks like he got it :rolleyes: Anyhow, I'll be taking it apart soon to see if I can fix it, I wouldnt be surprised if something in it snapped.

danf_fl 07-18-2011 09:11 AM

From what I have seen, the two springs that break the most is the cylinder lock and pawl.

Heritage does not have any of the earlier model pawls. I had to reshape a new style to work with the old cylinders.

For about $150, you can get a replacement for the complete pistol.

tonyh 12-10-2011 02:33 AM

Heritage non-customer service.

Unfortunately I bought one of the new 9 shot models. Wanted one with the adjustable sights, but no luck. BIG mistake!

The blasted thing shoots 2 feet low and 3 feet to the left at around 25 feet!

I called Heritage and the girl who answers the phone said to simply get a pair of pliers and bend the front blade sight as far as it would go to the left. Then get a file and grind down the front sight! Really!

Called them again and asked for the repair department. The same receptionist said she could help me. She confirmed what she previously told me. When I said they would have to do better she took my credit card number and E-mail address and said a $15 prepaid UPS return label would come either by snail mail or E-mail.

That was the week before Thanksgiving. NOTHING!

OK, I got taken once. But never again with Heritage junk.

Tony

danf_fl 12-10-2011 03:31 AM

tonyh, welcome to the forum! We have an "Introductions" area where you can say "Hi"
The Heritage is a simple, no frills revolver.

On the plus side, it is better than a Rohm RG-66.