Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Heritage MFG? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/heritage-mfg-5286/)

iloveguns 06-30-2008 09:52 PM

Heritage MFG?

I am looking at getting a single action .22 lr revolver. I don't want to spend that much on one as it is just for plinking period. The heritage revolver I am looking at , looks very nice. My question is, is it an ok gun or a piece of crap? Like I said it is just for plinking and screwing around with. Let me know. Thanks

Dillinger 06-30-2008 10:15 PM

Heritage has been around for awhile, though I can't say for certain how long off the top of my head. I have seen two of their revolvers, but neither was the .22 caliber version. Their larger "cowboy" style guns are good, made of steel and 100% American made, but I wouldn't buy one and put it on display in a sealed case or anything. I tested a trigger job that my 'Smith did on one, the factory trigger was supposedly pretty rough. With the customer provided .44-40 ammo, the weapon was solid, performed as expected and grouped decently considering it's single action with fixed sights.

I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece of engineering or workmanship, and the factory warranty is about a year I think, but there was nothing technically "wrong" with the models I have played with.

For what it is worth....

JD

iloveguns 06-30-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 29913)
Heritage has been around for awhile, though I can't say for certain how long off the top of my head. I have seen two of their revolvers, but neither was the .22 caliber version. Their larger "cowboy" style guns are good, made of steel and 100% American made, but I wouldn't buy one and put it on display in a sealed case or anything. I tested a trigger job that my 'Smith did on one, the factory trigger was supposedly pretty rough. With the customer provided .44-40 ammo, the weapon was solid, performed as expected and grouped decently considering it's single action with fixed sights.

I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece of engineering or workmanship, and the factory warranty is about a year I think, but there was nothing technically "wrong" with the models I have played with.

For what it is worth....

JD

Thank you. That is pretty much what I need to hear. I think I am going to buy it. Thanks again Dillinger.:)

Dillinger 06-30-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloveguns (Post 29914)
Thank you. That is pretty much what I need to hear. I think I am going to buy it. Thanks again Dillinger.:)

Best of luck - make sure and dry fire it, to test that trigger, before you take final delivery. Let us know how it treats you...

JD

ScottG 07-01-2008 12:37 AM

Painted Klown??? was going to buy one, I think. Haven't seen him/her post lately though. I've considered getting one just for range time/plinking too. I held one side by side with a Ruger and it's definitely lighter and a little smaller, but it seemed ok to me. For the price.....

allmons 07-01-2008 03:39 PM

I bought one of the .22 Heritage revolvers...

about a year ago. Bought the Heritage "Rough Rider" .22 with bird's head grips.

It came with a .22 magnum cylinder, instructions and a one year warranty. The gun shoots well, but does have fixed sights. I have shot it quite a bit, and have had no problems to date.

I honestly don't know about longevity, but I have certainly got my money's worth already. Fun, inexpensive and fairly well made, I would buy one again.

:D

allmons 07-01-2008 03:47 PM

For a picture of a gun similar to mine,

see my photos in the revolver section on this web site.

iloveguns 07-01-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmons (Post 29985)
see my photos in the revolver section on this web site.

Looks good allmons. Thanks for the input. I thought it would be an alright gun just for plinking. It looks good and fairly well made. Plus for $160 bucks I figured what the hell.:D

Ruger Redhawk 07-01-2008 04:49 PM

I've had no dealings with them.I'm not here to run it down and this is just hearsay.On other sites I heard quite abit about them. They seem to be fairly decent ,however I read where they didn't hold up very well.If it were me I would spend a little (okay allot more) and get the Ruger Single Six.For a plinker I guess it would fill your needs. For the long run I would go with the Single Six and be done with it.Plus a one year warranty isn't very long.I have never paid for a Ruger repair no matter how long I owned it.Like everything else you get what you pay for. Just like the Hi Points some like them and others have nothing good to say about them.Good luck whatever you decide on.