Help Please identifying the S&W revolver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Help Please identifying the S&W revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help Please identifying the S&W revolver

I'm a newbie to this site but I've owned more than a dozen S&W revolvers and have been a shooter for 55 years but this gun has me stumped as to model. I have tried googling S&W mod 3-1; S&W J frame and other variations but no success.

It is a 5-shot swing out cylinder and appears to be a J frame or about that size. The barrel is about 3.5 in. and is marked 38 S&W Ctg. When the cylinder is opened the serial # 086xx is evident and on the frame that is exposed when the cylinder is open it is stamped very faintly Mod 3-1. That area is a bit scratched up and it is possible there are other numbers but I can't make any out. On the bottom of the frame at the handle it is deeply stamped 3 and then another 3 about 3/8" in. away. Unfortunately a previous owner has drilled and tapped three holes to facilitate putting large grips on this revolver so I can't tell if there were any other numbers. It is clear however that where newer S&W revolvers had their serial # stamped on the grip frame this has only the two 3s separated by that 3/8 inchl

The revolver also has a coil spring as opposed to the flat spring I've seen in other S&W revolvers. Any help would be appreciated.
Jerry

38-s-w-010.jpg   38-s-w-002.jpg   38-s-w-005.jpg   38-s-w-008.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That is a 33-1 with a poor proof strike.

Here's a manual for sale.
http://www.rediscovered-shooting-treasures.com/s&w3233.htm

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-01-2011 at 12:47 AM.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

Default Task Accomplished

Thanks very much for identifying the revolver. I'm guessing ammunition for this is going to be expensive and scarce. Sounds like a set of dies and cast bullets is in order if I'm going to shoot it much.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

There is no current production ammo available. Anything you find should be safe to shoot, but will likely be 20+ years old. I think I've got 50-100 pcs of once fired brass of you're interested...pm me.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

.38 S&W ammo (not .38 Special) is still in production, readily available (google 38 S&W Ammo sale) It is a bit more expensive than .38 Special.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.