Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Help with old obsolete revolver

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kmglocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Help with old obsolete revolver

Hello, recently I received and old flip top revolver from a friend as a project. It's a harrington and richardson arms .38 s&w. Don't know much about it though. All i know is that the cylinder doesn't lock on it. Any ideas as i do not know much about revolvers, thanks! I will attach pics.

Name:  image-3921143910.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  34.2 KB



Name:  image-3996237982.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  34.6 KB



Name:  image-1444878457.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  34.7 KB



Name:  image-859539616.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.5 KB



Name:  image-2072485515.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.1 KB



Name:  image-1389380519.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  34.2 KB



Name:  image-3825697308.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  34.5 KB













__________________
kmglocks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
10-32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Default

What do you mean it doesn't lock? Does it cycle when you pull the trigger? Does the stop come up out of the frame?



__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kmglocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
What do you mean it doesn't lock? Does it cycle when you pull the trigger? Does the stop come up out of the frame?
You can freely spin the cylinder when its in battery. It cycles when you pull the trigger too.
__________________
kmglocks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Moderator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 15,735
Liked 7550 Times on 3286 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Default

Most of the H&R or Iver Johnson top break revolvers had an action that did not lock the cylinder in position UNTIL it was at the point of firing.

When the hammer is cocked, the cylinder SHOULD be locked in position. When hammer is down, free spinning.

These revolvers were made by the hundreds of thousands. If the caliber is marked ON THE BARREL, it should be OK with modern day ammo. If elsewhere, then it dates from the black powder era.

Yours appears to be in good finish. I would get a competent pistolsmith to look it over before shooting it. H&R and Iver Johnson made decent guns- they were not junk (and yeah, there were some junk guns back then) Prices were not high then- or now- unless you have one in like new condition.

__________________

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
10-32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Default

Ok. So if you open it up and look at the little slot on the top of the frame (over the trigger) and you cock the hammer. Does the stop come up through the slot?

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kmglocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Most of the H&R or Iver Johnson top break revolvers had an action that did not lock the cylinder in position UNTIL it was at the point of firing.

When the hammer is cocked, the cylinder SHOULD be locked in position. When hammer is down, free spinning.

These revolvers were made by the hundreds of thousands. If the caliber is marked ON THE BARREL, it should be OK with modern day ammo. If elsewhere, then it dates from the black powder era.

Yours appears to be in good finish. I would get a competent pistolsmith to look it over before shooting it. H&R and Iver Johnson made decent guns- they were not junk (and yeah, there were some junk guns back then) Prices were not high then- or now- unless you have one in like new condition.
That makes sense, it just didnt seem logical that it spun freely as i am used to more modern revolvers. Thanks for the reassurance.
__________________
kmglocks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Retired
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 9,712
Liked 2270 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1059

Default

That small piece above the trigger (lifter? in H&R) may not be moving up. Possible that the spring is broke.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7946

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kmglocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Just an fyi when the hammer is back the cylinder rotates or has give in it so the cylinder has the possibility of not meeting the barrel flush, not good.

__________________
kmglocks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
10-32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Ok. So if you open it up and look at the little slot on the top of the frame (over the trigger) and you cock the hammer. Does the stop come up through the slot?
................
__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kmglocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 350
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

................
Yes it does.


__________________
kmglocks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Obsolete Ammo? Help Hathead9 Ammunition & Reloading 19 12-21-2013 12:23 PM
Obsolete calibers MrWray General Handgun Discussion 121 01-24-2012 10:36 PM
Obsolete cartridges 1982flh80 Ammunition & Reloading 10 11-25-2011 03:24 AM
The Rocker Trigger? Obsolete?? Dillinger Semi-Auto Handguns 9 05-23-2011 02:42 PM
Obsolete or Underestimated? Bolt Action Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 20 05-05-2008 02:14 AM