Help ME!Snub Nose Accuracy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Help ME!Snub Nose Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Jerry Miculek

Not about snubby but advice for revolvers in general. Learning from the best Jerry Miculek:
Here's some advice from him.... nice set of videos...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #12

Learning from people like Massad Ayoob and the amazing Jerry Miculek is always a good thing when it comes to revolver shooting. Their basic principles of grip and trigger pull really helped me shoot a revolver well. You can't go wrong with any of that!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #13

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Advice Taken

So,with you guy's advice,I went out today with the only 6 .38spl rounds I own,so I needed to make my shots count,I measured out 7 yards(no more 25 yet) and with an unbenched weaver stance&grip,with 158grn LRN's I did my best in SA.My first shot was low(me trying to compensate),but after I seen it was low,I just aimed naturally,and I think I did pretty good,but that's for you to decide.

dscf6331.jpg  

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #14

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

COOL! Glad that you improve your shooting.
That's the way... step by step... once you become proficient @ 7yds. increase the range up to 15 yds.
Remember that it's a snubby, is not intented for long distances and/or presicion shooting.
This is a target of my first shots from a Ruger LCR and +P ammo @15 ft ....

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 07-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #15

That is outstanding!!

A great group from a gun with that short a barrel. Honestly I think it's a great group, period. I actually know a lot of people with firearms that would lend themselves to much better performance at longer ranges that can't hold a group that tight at that range.

Whatever you did, it's working.

Now go get some more ammo, have some more fun and build your confidence while you cut holes in paper! Then move back to 10 yards, 15 and so on.

Have a great day!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You already got some excellent advice, but I'll add my two cents. I noticed that you're doing all your shooting in single action, in my opinion a snubnose (which is a self defense weapon) should be shot in double action 99% of the time.

It is harder to be accurate at first, but it really helps you develope a good trigger pull. With enough practice you'll get good groups even at long distances. I'm a snubnose revolver fetishist, I know they aren't meant for long range marksmanship, but I get a sort of sick satisfaction from shooting them at 20 or 25 meters.

That 7 yard target looks great. Keep working on the basics and you'll be able to move it further back soon. If I can do it, anybody can.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #17

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I also get a kick out of shooting 25+yards/meters with a snub.I like to set up metal objects at 50 yards to hear a big ping.Just knowing that a snub is possible of firing a bullet about a mile,or 5000+ feet at 45 degrees makes me want to shoot farther than 10 yards/meters or so.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 AM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice shooting,
The pistol is meant for close use so don't get preoccupied with increasing the distance. Fire it as you would expect to have to use it. Same with firing SA, good for you as that will be the condition you will be in if you have to use it for defense. Pulling back the hammer will give you a easier pull on the trigger but not a real life situation. Work on three round quick burst, that will tell you much about your abilities at this distance.

Looks like you are well on your way. Congrats!

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

25 yard distance is usually reserved for target/match/hunting handguns. It's my strong belief you should practice at the distance you expect to actually fire the gun. With snubbys I usually teach to practice no further than 10 yards at most. It's my firm belief that if you are 25 yards away, you're going to have a hard time justifying engaging & using deadly force in court later. Make your practice as real as possible. Simply punching paper that far away in slow aimed precision single action fire does very little to prepare you for actual defensive situations. Get a lot closer and shoot like you mean it in an simulated defensive shoot-that means double action shooting.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!