Help ME!Snub Nose Accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Help ME!Snub Nose Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Help ME!Snub Nose Accuracy

I am fairly new to shooting,so I threw up a cardboard target 25-30 yards away.Put in 6 125 grain blazer .38spls in my rossi 462 snub 2",and fired slow and in single action free handed.I was hoping to do better,but maybe my results are common free handed?I highlighted my hits,I feel lucky being so new to have all 6 on paper,but I feel like I could improve alot.I hope someone can read my bullet pattern signature and translate to me what I need to do better.

7162009_233034_0001.jpg   7162009_233034_0002.jpg   1st-person-view.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #2

Hi,

Some of the problem is that a 2" barrel was never designed for the distances you were at. 2" and 3" barrel weapons are designed for up close and personal defense, typically 5 to 15 feet. They really weren't designed for distance shooting.
Since you say you are fairly new to shooting, I would start by moving your target much closer and see what your results are. Try 2 to 7 yards away, usually a good starting point for a weapon with such a short barrel. Practice at those distances and see how you progress. As you improve, try increasing the distance. Remember though the weapon you have has such a short barrel, it was never ment to group tightly at 25 to 30 yards.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Think of it as a Doctors gun; eyes, ears, nose and throat. You'll also hear the term "Belly Gun", that's because you stick it in the attackers belly and pull the trigger.

Practice at 7 yards to maybe 15 yards. If you want to shoot longer distances accurately, buy a different handgun, one with a longer barrel.

Good luck and keep practicing.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2009, 04:59 AM   #4

I agree with the up close and personal thing, but you can shot this gun from 25 yards with practice. You should not start out at 25 as a new shooter. The first thing I see your grip. The support thump needs to be moved up and cross the gun hand thumb. Second, pointer finger of the support hand needs to be up and against the trigger guard. The other issue most new shooters have is trigger control, squeeze no pull or yank. Press the trigger back slow and constantly. The gun should go off as a surprise to you. Also dry fire is good. Get some snap caps if you are concerned about damaging the gun. Keep you focus on the front sight and do not look to see where the round are going right after you shot. You need to look at the front sight, shot and get a second sight picture then look where the round went.

What I see in the target is you are pushing the heel of the gun. This is an anticipation issue. Dry fire should help with this.

Most of all keep working on it and don't give up. Shot slow at first and get faster as you get more trigger time. Good luck!!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Do a lot of dry fire. As mentioned, a 2" revolver is designed to be used at combat distances. The average shooting incident will occur within 7 yards. Do most of your practice within that 7 yard distance and practice a lot, if you can find ammo. Contrary to popular belief, the 2 or 3 inch revolvers are inherently (mechanically) as accurate as a longer barreled revolver. Just more difficult to shoot due to , rudimentary sights, short sight radius and increased recoil. I have 2 and 3 inch revolvers that I can hit soda cans with out to 100 yards and will shoot ragged holes at 25 yards. Start your practice close to your target. You don't need ragged one hole groups. Combat accuracy is your goal. As you progress, your speed will also increase. What I mean by combat accuracy is placing all your shots within a 4" group in the upper body mass of your target. You want to be able to do that at any given combat range at any time and any situation. Practice, practice, practice. And, welcome to the shooting community, hope you enjoy.

I hope this helps,
Jim..............................

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #6

I actually owned a Rossi snubby much like yours several years ago and my first few sets of groups at distance were a lot like yours. Like everyone else has said, a gun with that small a barrel was never intended to be a sniper rifle.

I would also bring up, not to criticize but to help, your grip. Let me give you a link that REALLY helped me out in the accurate pistol shooting department. It's a great article covering the basics by Massad Ayoob. Your shooting WILL improve once you've read, studied and adopted the techniques he discusses.

How to shoot a handgun accurately By Massad Ayoob

Most important: don't get discouraged. Move the target closer, clean up the grip a little, and watch the groups get tighter!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #7

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I did see Bob Munden put 5 shots of 38 Spl. out of a 2" gun on a standard 25 yard pistol target... at 100 yards. Two of them were just outside the black. I think the problem is, you and me ain't Bob Munden.

What could have happened... did.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #8

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a 4" .22 that I can group about 6" freehanded at 25 yards,as where that snub I get more like 15" from bullseye.I never benched either gun to see if it is the gun at all,since they are cheap guns

Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get your left thumb of top of your right hand . That will cause you to throw the rounds around target .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 07-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Repost your target with the shots numbered, it will help with the advice given. All the same you got good advice this is a close up firearm and not a target shooter.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.