Help identifying S&W revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Help identifying S&W revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help identifying S&W revolver

Does anyone recognize this S&W model 36 revolver in 38 special. Any details at all would be helpful - Serial number J652XXX Here is a picture

dscn0632.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I'll tell you the same thing I said the first time you posted this - contact S&W and get a letter. The serial number is probably circa early 80s or so but the question is whether it left the factory like that. If it left the factory in this condition - it may be something special, if not it's just an engraved 36. You can post this once a week and you won't get better info...

Last edited by NGIB; 01-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Aw snap!......

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #4

Wasn't trying to be an azz - the question was asked & answered the first time.

Ever watch Pawn Stars? People come in with a whip used by Harrison Ford or a hat worn by John Wayne - the first question they're asked is whether they have any certified paperwork to back up the claim. In the case of S&W - that paperwork is a factory letter, period, end of story...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #5

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

1977-1978 = J610001 - J670000

My guess is its YOM is 1978.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #6

Some of you guys have a Knack for shutting off talk. Just because you don't have first hand knowledge of a model like this doesn't mean the whole world doesn't.

You supplied a lead last week -thanks - but looking for someone with knowledge of a weapon like this or if scrolling like this is actually done by S&W in their factory or custom shop.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Wasn't trying to be an azz - the question was asked & answered the first time.

Ever watch Pawn Stars? People come in with a whip used by Harrison Ford or a hat worn by John Wayne - the first question they're asked is whether they have any certified paperwork to back up the claim. In the case of S&W - that paperwork is a factory letter, period, end of story...
and this still applies

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Rick, you asked the question and it's been answered.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-15-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Rick- S&W is the only one that can answer that. There is a gent that stops by now and again- Mr. Ken Hurst- I was in his engraving shop many years ago, and his folks could do work that well- but whether that was done after the factory by a Master Engraver, or done at S&Ws shop would have to be answered by S&W.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1944 View Post
Some of you guys have a Knack for shutting off talk. Just because you don't have first hand knowledge of a model like this doesn't mean the whole world doesn't.

You supplied a lead last week -thanks - but looking for someone with knowledge of a weapon like this or if scrolling like this is actually done by S&W in their factory or custom shop.
Not shutting off talk at all, just giving you a factual answer to your question for the second time. Every person on the internet could tell you that it's a one of a kind factory special edition worth $127,583.27 but without the factory letter to back it up - it's meaningless. Go to the S&W forum and ask this question - you'll get exactly the same answer...