help identifying this handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > help identifying this handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default help identifying this handgun

I found a hand gun in my granfathers shed when he died. It says " for 32 smith&wesson ctgs " on the top barrell, " secrest service special " on the left side of the barrell, " AJ may 22 1917 " on the saftey on the right side of the gun, the plates on each side are either pearl or ivory, on the left plate it has a united states pendant, when taking the plates off there is a number, it has 5 chamber, it opens up, back then down to load, when barrell is removed there is another number, and there is also another on the bottom of the trigger. I need help identifying the gun and maybe its worth.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's very difficult to do what you ask with no pictures. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you dropped by the introductions area to tell us a little about yourself...

Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Theres nothing to tell about myself i jus had a question i gave all the info i have about the gun thats the purpose, if u can help thats fine u cant thats also fine but inquires only about my findins pls

Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #4

maybe if you don't want to play nice you should just take it to a gun shop?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirrtyredd81 View Post
Theres nothing to tell about myself i jus had a question i gave all the info i have about the gun thats the purpose, if u can help thats fine u cant thats also fine but inquires only about my findins pls
Great attitude you got there. I'm sure everyone will bend over backwards to help you...

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirrtyredd81 View Post
I found a hand gun in my granfathers shed when he died. It says " for 32 smith&wesson ctgs " on the top barrell, " secrest service special " on the left side of the barrell, " AJ may 22 1917 " on the saftey on the right side of the gun, the plates on each side are either pearl or ivory, on the left plate it has a united states pendant, when taking the plates off there is a number, it has 5 chamber, it opens up, back then down to load, when barrell is removed there is another number, and there is also another on the bottom of the trigger. I need help identifying the gun and maybe its worth.
Maybe post a pic? Your description is a little confusing.

Plus it is tough to put a value on something when the value has lots to do with condition and rarity. Just because it is old, does not mean it is worth anything.

Also, you get more response with sugar than with vinegar. Keep that in mind.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #7

im far from a person with an attitude theres nothing to share but the info about the gun like i told u i told u everything i know about the gun and i just posted some photos of it on my profile

Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports: Info about an old 'Secret Service Special', spencer co, definitive info from a dogpile search

No answers on wikianswer, but you could check back later: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_years_were_the_Secret_Service_Special_revolve rs_manufactured

I personally am not familiar with that firearm at all.

From looking at the pics & reading those hits from the web, i'd clean it up & keep it in a display case. It would look nice in your collection, but those hits don't seem to indicate much monetary worth.

Last edited by orangello; 09-14-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #9

thank u to all that are nice and helpful to make things a little easier than the info i have given there is now pics of the gun on my profile

Old 09-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #10

Never Clean an antique. You let the person your going to sell it to decide on that. Collectors want dirt. Dirt=History