Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   help identifying this handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/help-identifying-handgun-18054/)

dirrtyredd81 09-14-2009 05:34 PM

help identifying this handgun

I found a hand gun in my granfathers shed when he died. It says " for 32 smith&wesson ctgs " on the top barrell, " secrest service special " on the left side of the barrell, " AJ may 22 1917 " on the saftey on the right side of the gun, the plates on each side are either pearl or ivory, on the left plate it has a united states pendant, when taking the plates off there is a number, it has 5 chamber, it opens up, back then down to load, when barrell is removed there is another number, and there is also another on the bottom of the trigger. I need help identifying the gun and maybe its worth.

NGIB 09-14-2009 06:53 PM

It's very difficult to do what you ask with no pictures. Also, it wouldn't hurt if you dropped by the introductions area to tell us a little about yourself...

dirrtyredd81 09-14-2009 07:24 PM

Theres nothing to tell about myself i jus had a question i gave all the info i have about the gun thats the purpose, if u can help thats fine u cant thats also fine but inquires only about my findins pls

Jess 09-14-2009 07:29 PM

maybe if you don't want to play nice you should just take it to a gun shop?

NGIB 09-14-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirrtyredd81 (Post 159663)
Theres nothing to tell about myself i jus had a question i gave all the info i have about the gun thats the purpose, if u can help thats fine u cant thats also fine but inquires only about my findins pls

Great attitude you got there. I'm sure everyone will bend over backwards to help you...

skullcrusher 09-14-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirrtyredd81 (Post 159604)
I found a hand gun in my granfathers shed when he died. It says " for 32 smith&wesson ctgs " on the top barrell, " secrest service special " on the left side of the barrell, " AJ may 22 1917 " on the saftey on the right side of the gun, the plates on each side are either pearl or ivory, on the left plate it has a united states pendant, when taking the plates off there is a number, it has 5 chamber, it opens up, back then down to load, when barrell is removed there is another number, and there is also another on the bottom of the trigger. I need help identifying the gun and maybe its worth.

Maybe post a pic? Your description is a little confusing.

Plus it is tough to put a value on something when the value has lots to do with condition and rarity. Just because it is old, does not mean it is worth anything.

Also, you get more response with sugar than with vinegar. Keep that in mind.

dirrtyredd81 09-14-2009 07:53 PM

im far from a person with an attitude theres nothing to share but the info about the gun like i told u i told u everything i know about the gun and i just posted some photos of it on my profile

orangello 09-14-2009 07:56 PM

Guns, Firearms, Projectile Weapon Sports: Info about an old 'Secret Service Special', spencer co, definitive info from a dogpile search

No answers on wikianswer, but you could check back later: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_years_were_the_Secret_Service_Special_revolve rs_manufactured

I personally am not familiar with that firearm at all.

From looking at the pics & reading those hits from the web, i'd clean it up & keep it in a display case. It would look nice in your collection, but those hits don't seem to indicate much monetary worth.

dirrtyredd81 09-14-2009 08:00 PM

thank u to all that are nice and helpful to make things a little easier than the info i have given there is now pics of the gun on my profile

meek 09-14-2009 08:22 PM

Never Clean an antique. You let the person your going to sell it to decide on that. Collectors want dirt. Dirt=History