Hawes .357 magnum

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Hawes .357 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Default Hawes .357 magnum

Hey fellas, a few years ago my father have me the coolest present for Christmas ever, and old single action revolver, it was made by Hawes, .357 magnum 5" barrel.

I've had it for a while and I absolutely love the thing, it's pretty accurate for a pistol too. Anyhow I have been curious to know more about this company, I never heard of them before, and I have searched and haven't really found much, I'm just wonderin if someone on here maybe can give me a little info on em, much appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Good quality gun made in Germany by J.P Sauer. I think they were mostly imported in the 1970's. Be careful not to carry a loaded chamber under the hammer --no hammer block.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Good quality gun made in Germany by J.P Sauer. I think they were mostly imported in the 1970's. Be careful not to carry a loaded chamber under the hammer --no hammer block.
+1
Had several over the yrs-
Not one bad word to say about them-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Subbing for updates. Sounds interesting.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #5

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As best as I can remember, the Hawes story goes something like this, more or less:

The Great Western revovlers were introduced in the early 'Fifties as copies of the Colt Single Action Army revovler, and were American made in Hollywood, California. About that time Colt re-introduced their Single Action Army, and Ruger had introduce the Blackhawk, and Great Western sort of folded as a company. Hy Hunter, a distributor/jobber for Great Western, went to J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Germany and began making the single action formerly made by Great Western. These guns were sold under the name of Hy Hunter. For some reason Hy Hunter left the game and production continued under the name Hawes. Sauer sold out to another German firm, who still produce a similar gun today.

The German made guns were stout guns, well made and finished, but along the way some parts were changed to alloy. But the guns are sturdy and reliable. Parts are available from Numrich, and some parts for Ubertis will interchange.

It is my understanding the Christy type firing pin can be replaced with a Colt firing pin bushing and Colt style hammer.

Bob Wright

Old 11-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #6

Interesting in deed, the one I have is blued steel,, my father took it to a local gunsmith a while back asking about the trigger (this was before he have it to me) the smith told him that the previous owner must've spent a thousand if not more on a new trigger system, lol to my dad discomfort he cocked the hammer, turned it around (it was not pointing at pops) and began banging on the counter with the handle, hammer and trigger didn't even budge.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright
As best as I can remember, the Hawes story goes something like this, more or less: The Great Western revovlers were introduced in the early 'Fifties as copies of the Colt Single Action Army revovler, and were American made in Hollywood, California. About that time Colt re-introduced their Single Action Army, and Ruger had introduce the Blackhawk, and Great Western sort of folded as a company. Hy Hunter, a distributor/jobber for Great Western, went to J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Germany and began making the single action formerly made by Great Western. These guns were sold under the name of Hy Hunter. For some reason Hy Hunter left the game and production continued under the name Hawes. Sauer sold out to another German firm, who still produce a similar gun today. The German made guns were stout guns, well made and finished, but along the way some parts were changed to alloy. But the guns are sturdy and reliable. Parts are available from Numrich, and some parts for Ubertis will interchange. It is my understanding the Christy type firing pin can be replaced with a Colt firing pin bushing and Colt style hammer. Bob Wright
Thank you very much indeed sir

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

Just for kicks, here's my Hy Hunter .357 Magnum as bought:

And, after fitting with an Uberti trigger guard and a Hawes backstrap, and home made grips:

Bob Wright

Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Bob, Do you have any of the Hammerli Virginians from that era in your collection? Their Swiss Safety was carried over to the U.S. manufactured Virginians later on. There were some nice guns by Sauer & Sons. As I recall they also made the Herter's Power Mag. Handguns as well.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Bob, Do you have any of the Hammerli Virginians from that era in your collection? Their Swiss Safety was carried over to the U.S. manufactured Virginians later on. There were some nice guns by Sauer & Sons. As I recall they also made the Herter's Power Mag. Handguns as well.
Alas, I do not. Contributions are welcome, though.

As to the SwissSafe safety, my Uberti Stallion .22 and my Cimarron Model P .44 Special both have that design, and does this Hawes.

The Uberti Flat Top .45 that I have has the Uberti designed hammer block safety.

Bob Wright