Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Hawes .357 magnum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/hawes-357-magnum-100255/)

Chief-Long-Iron 11-12-2013 05:59 AM

Hawes .357 magnum

Hey fellas, a few years ago my father have me the coolest present for Christmas ever, and old single action revolver, it was made by Hawes, .357 magnum 5" barrel.

I've had it for a while and I absolutely love the thing, it's pretty accurate for a pistol too. Anyhow I have been curious to know more about this company, I never heard of them before, and I have searched and haven't really found much, I'm just wonderin if someone on here maybe can give me a little info on em, much appreciated!

txpossum 11-12-2013 02:47 PM

Good quality gun made in Germany by J.P Sauer. I think they were mostly imported in the 1970's. Be careful not to carry a loaded chamber under the hammer --no hammer block.

HOSSFLY 11-12-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1429791)
Good quality gun made in Germany by J.P Sauer. I think they were mostly imported in the 1970's. Be careful not to carry a loaded chamber under the hammer --no hammer block.

+1
Had several over the yrs-
Not one bad word to say about them-

JW357 11-12-2013 07:06 PM

Subbing for updates. Sounds interesting.

Bob Wright 11-12-2013 09:02 PM

As best as I can remember, the Hawes story goes something like this, more or less:

The Great Western revovlers were introduced in the early 'Fifties as copies of the Colt Single Action Army revovler, and were American made in Hollywood, California. About that time Colt re-introduced their Single Action Army, and Ruger had introduce the Blackhawk, and Great Western sort of folded as a company. Hy Hunter, a distributor/jobber for Great Western, went to J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Germany and began making the single action formerly made by Great Western. These guns were sold under the name of Hy Hunter. For some reason Hy Hunter left the game and production continued under the name Hawes. Sauer sold out to another German firm, who still produce a similar gun today.

The German made guns were stout guns, well made and finished, but along the way some parts were changed to alloy. But the guns are sturdy and reliable. Parts are available from Numrich, and some parts for Ubertis will interchange.

It is my understanding the Christy type firing pin can be replaced with a Colt firing pin bushing and Colt style hammer.

Bob Wright

Chief-Long-Iron 11-13-2013 02:01 AM

Interesting in deed, the one I have is blued steel,, my father took it to a local gunsmith a while back asking about the trigger (this was before he have it to me) the smith told him that the previous owner must've spent a thousand if not more on a new trigger system, lol to my dad discomfort he cocked the hammer, turned it around (it was not pointing at pops) and began banging on the counter with the handle, hammer and trigger didn't even budge.

Chief-Long-Iron 11-13-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright
As best as I can remember, the Hawes story goes something like this, more or less: The Great Western revovlers were introduced in the early 'Fifties as copies of the Colt Single Action Army revovler, and were American made in Hollywood, California. About that time Colt re-introduced their Single Action Army, and Ruger had introduce the Blackhawk, and Great Western sort of folded as a company. Hy Hunter, a distributor/jobber for Great Western, went to J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Germany and began making the single action formerly made by Great Western. These guns were sold under the name of Hy Hunter. For some reason Hy Hunter left the game and production continued under the name Hawes. Sauer sold out to another German firm, who still produce a similar gun today. The German made guns were stout guns, well made and finished, but along the way some parts were changed to alloy. But the guns are sturdy and reliable. Parts are available from Numrich, and some parts for Ubertis will interchange. It is my understanding the Christy type firing pin can be replaced with a Colt firing pin bushing and Colt style hammer. Bob Wright

Thank you very much indeed sir

Bob Wright 11-13-2013 02:48 PM

Just for kicks, here's my Hy Hunter .357 Magnum as bought:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...l/100_9986.jpg

And, after fitting with an Uberti trigger guard and a Hawes backstrap, and home made grips:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...l/100_0139.jpg

Bob Wright

nitestalker 11-13-2013 03:10 PM

Bob, Do you have any of the Hammerli Virginians from that era in your collection? Their Swiss Safety was carried over to the U.S. manufactured Virginians later on. There were some nice guns by Sauer & Sons. As I recall they also made the Herter's Power Mag. Handguns as well.:)

Bob Wright 11-13-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1430580)
Bob, Do you have any of the Hammerli Virginians from that era in your collection? Their Swiss Safety was carried over to the U.S. manufactured Virginians later on. There were some nice guns by Sauer & Sons. As I recall they also made the Herter's Power Mag. Handguns as well.:)

Alas, I do not. Contributions are welcome, though.

As to the SwissSafe safety, my Uberti Stallion .22 and my Cimarron Model P .44 Special both have that design, and does this Hawes.

The Uberti Flat Top .45 that I have has the Uberti designed hammer block safety.

Bob Wright