Handgun for the lady! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Handgun for the lady!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
I've shot a lot of free running dogs and a few pigs with 22's. They don't usually drop dead but they have always seemed to change their mind about what they were doing. More than one dedicated poacher has told me that you can kill any thing with a 22. These macho types that poo poo the 22 LR may have no experience with it agianst living targets.
Quote:
So I live out here in the country and defend my property and person from feral animals and you mealy mouthed dogooders whine and pith and moan about poor animals, people's pets etc. But you seem quite accepting of the practice of shooting feral humans. HYPOCRITS, If it's a threat shoot it. You must not get out much with the rural gun crowd, a lot of people still regard the woods as a grocery store. However game populations are increasing because alot of younger people don't like blood and guts and killing anamals and many that go sit in camp, dressed in the latest from CabelasAnd use there custom folders to cut up thier ribeyes. Or maybe they put on their cammies and go to the range and shoot the latest designer SA. My daughter got bit by a skunk while hauling out her trash. Now we have had a rash of rabid skunks. There have been public notices to shoot the skunks through the chest to save the head for testing. Now I probably won't wound as many because I got a 357. A s&w 637 is a nice gun to carry while mowing the lawn I have tried to run over rats with the mower bit they are quick and it leaves funny petterns on the lawn. By the way, Iknow some poachers, do you know any petit criminals say weed smokers?
So first, "free running" and "feral" are two different things. You shoot a free running pet because you are annoyed by your neighbors loose poodle is a whole lot different than shooting a feral dog complete with mange and rabies. But your attitude that wounding it is just as good as assuring a kill is juvenile at best, mentally unstable at worst. No one here has said killing humans is more acceptable than killing animals, and those that have had to kill another human will tell you that it is not a frivolous matter. And yes, I know some petty criminals, but I don’t take advice from them nor hold them up as a subject matter expert. So if this offends you I am sorry, but as implied don’t go away mad, just go away.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2896 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

I agree no room here for a person with that view of wounding and or killing any animal for fun. And especially if it is only a loose neighbors pet that is not causing any damage or threat. Damn lucky you are not living close to me in that case. I know people who are no longer living among the free public but are guests of the state who have started out with that mental state. Killing or wounding animals for the fun when young can progress to other issues later as has been found in the past. If that is it, you need to talk to a professional about that mindset.

Anyway, back to the main topic of a good pistol for a wife regarding self defense is one issue. But to also enjoy target shooting a Ruger, Browning Buck Mark or other similar Semi Auto 22 Pistol is a great choice. And for self defense the magazines hold more than one round!
As far as a small self defence pistol easy to pull are the small 380 or 9mm Sigs, Berettas, Kahrs and others. I guess the main thing is what you are actually going to focus use on.
Good Luck on your choice!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2896 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Olaf,

You being a vet seems to me there must be some misunderstanding regarding of what was meant in you initial thread?
And wounding in a military environment is sometimes best since it takes more people out of the battle to take care of the wounded. No contest there! But the animals is a different issue in my book. If I am going to shoot anything I want it over quickly and humanely so they do not suffer not matter what the preceding situation was.

Last edited by Sniper03; 08-10-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
To whoever said that a .22 will "just piss off" the BG. I have to say if you empty a 10 round magazine of hollow points center mass on the BG (very doable with the p22), I don't think he is just going to be "pissed off". He will be leaking out of 10 holes. I don't wanna meet the man that is "pissed off" with those types of injuries.
I said that, and I have seen enough things in my 29 years on the streets to know what I am talking about. There are plenty of instances where even a .40 or a .45 doesn't take down a drugged up bad guy, why take chances with a .22. What is your, or her, life worth? For practice, get a .22 with the same operating system as her carry gun. She can shoot it all she wants, the carry gun, in .38 or 9mm will only have to be fired when needed, and with the adrenaline flowing, I am sure that she will not have any problem pulling the trigger.

Just hope that you don't have to meet him, that is my job.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Last edited by Glasshartt; 08-10-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have edited this thread a bit. Everybody discuss as you will, but no insults or name calling.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Linda, there is a study going arround on the internet by a guy with better credits than yours that thoroughly contradicts you. I read it on The High Road, I think the thread is an alternate theory of stopping power. Maybe I can find it. I lean toward beleaving it because it is inline with my own experence.
I guess if it is on the internet it has to be true.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #27

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I never said anything about killing for fun or woundimg intenionaly. If you shoot enough critters some are golng to live after after they are dead but they don't generally ignore it. I was once attacked vigorously by a guinea fowl after I had chopped Its head off. Linda, there is a study going arround on the internet by a guy with better credits than yours that thoroughly contradicts you. I read it on The High Road, I think the thread is an alternate theory of stopping power. Maybe I can find it. I lean toward beleaving it because it is inline with my own experence.

Ummmm, and what do you consider better creds than Linda's?

She doesn’t like to honk her own horn so I’m going to blow it a little.

She has worked the past 29 years on the streets, not at the academy or teaching after working the streets a few years like some “experts”, and she has done that in one of the largest cities and counties on the Mexican border.

She was the first female K9 officer in El Paso 27 years ago, she is an expert in auto theft and spent over 16 years as a detective in charge of the auto theft division in the El Paso County Sheriffs Department.

So if you want to state someone has “better” creds than her you better pony up the proof or keep comparisons like that to yourself.

Just because someone does not agree with your line of reasoning does not mean your wrong or they are right.

Myself, I’ll agree with Linda and I’ve got some pretty impressive creds myself, 37 years worth, also all on the streets with and occasional stint teaching.

My 2 cents worth.

Scubie

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Weed smokers only hurt them selves? Look at fast and furious, the Mexican, Columbian etc drug cartells. They draw a significant amount of their revenue from weed. It is evidently PC to abhor poaching while puffing a roach. "Only hurt themselves", Puulleeese how can you be so naive the drug trade is one of todays biggest evils and it is totally driven by the USERS.
Just to add fuel to the fire, all the above only happens because marijuana is illegal. During Prohibition when alcohol was made illegal, gangs and crime sprung up everywhere around the production and distribution of it. When it was made legal again, they had no reason to exist as you could just walk into the grocery store and buy it. Legalizing it would eliminate the niche for all the dangerous activity surrounding its production and distribution, among a few other practical benefits.

But, now you guys know I'm a Libertarian .

Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #29

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

A .22 mag round kills very efficiently and quickly if placed in the correct locations...head and heart.

Same with any caliber. Placement counts.

I prefer a larger caliber for carry, just in case I should miss the head and heart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
I said that, and I have seen enough things in my 29 years on the streets to know what I am talking about. There are plenty of instances where even a .40 or a .45 doesn't take down a drugged up bad guy, why take chances with a .22. What is your, or her, life worth? For practice, get a .22 with the same operating system as her carry gun. She can shoot it all she wants, the carry gun, in .38 or 9mm will only have to be fired when needed, and with the adrenaline flowing, I am sure that she will not have any problem pulling the trigger.

Just hope that you don't have to meet him, that is my job.
I appreciate your job. I don't want to meet him.

So - you are saying that some BG can take 10 rounds of .40 to the chest and keep coming? That could be. I wouldn't know. It seems that would severely impair bodily function such as breathing and circulation....
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.