Handgun for the lady! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Handgun for the lady!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If she is set on a revolver, might I suggest a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed Mag? My wife has one and really likes it. She is a small woman and it seems to fit her quite well. It isn't hard to cock the hammer, and the DA trigger pull isn't bad, either. It is a small frame revolver, but not too small. Plus, in the .327 it holds 6 rounds.

If you would rather go with S&W, a model 632 is basically their version of the same.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaiden View Post
If she is set on a revolver, might I suggest a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed Mag? My wife has one and really likes it. She is a small woman and it seems to fit her quite well. It isn't hard to cock the hammer, and the DA trigger pull isn't bad, either. It is a small frame revolver, but not too small. Plus, in the .327 it holds 6 rounds.

If you would rather go with S&W, a model 632 is basically their version of the same.

Good luck!
I too opted to get my wife a .327 short barrel revolver for defense. I did start her on a 22 for the sake of training and getting her use to proper trigger control. Then she found the 38Spl and 357 just too much noise and recoil. Though the 327 to me is equal on both counts to the 38, it may just be in her mind. However, the advantage is that the 327 will also chamber and fire the 32 HR Mag and 32 SW Long and 32-20 cartridges as well with a somewhat reduced noise/recoil which she handles well and with confidence. Which is exactly what I need her to do in a defensive situation.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 08-06-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Also, it was her opinion that revolvers overall had too heavy of a trigger pull.
That is a big reason most ladies seem to like the P22. Plus the low-recoil and comfortable grip are nice! A revolver is easier to learn how to use, but I still wouldn't put a Glock 19 or Glock 17 (both 9mm) out of the question. It's too bad that you can't get the G25 or G28 here in the states, as you'd have the low-recoiling .380 round in a nice, higher-capacity, sized-for-shooting package.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Um what the hell.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Am I the only one who finds this post disturbing?
No ma'am, you're not. I'm less than impressed with the apparent disregard for the inability, or unwillingness to humanely put down, even a nuisance animal.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
No ma'am, you're not. I'm less than impressed with the apparent disregard for the inability, or unwillingness to humanely put down, even a nuisance animal.
Agreed, as well as his apparent relationship with "dedicated poachers" which disturbs me equally.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #17

Default Hand gun for you Lady?

First look at a gun shop have her hold and see which one fits best in the hand and feels right. Then take her to the shooting range that hopefully has that same model of gun. Shoot a box of ammo she what she thinks of it and then go from their back to the gun shop and buy or try something else on for size.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #18
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
So I live out here in the country and defend my property and person from feral animals and you mealy mouthed dogooders whine and pith and moan about poor animals, people's pets etc. But you seem quite accepting of the practice of shooting feral humans. HYPOCRITS, If it's a threat shoot it. You must not get out much with the rural gun crowd, a lot of people still regard the woods as a grocery store. However game populations are increasing because alot of younger people don't like blood and guts and killing anamals and many that go sit in camp, dressed in the latest from CabelasAnd use there custom folders to cut up thier ribeyes. Or maybe they put on their cammies and go to the range and shoot the latest designer SA. My daughter got bit by a skunk while hauling out her trash. Now we have had a rash of rabid skunks. There have been public notices to shoot the skunks through the chest to save the head for testing. Now I probably won't wound as many because I got a 357. A s&w 637 is a nice gun to carry while mowing the lawn I have tried to run over rats with the mower bit they are quick and it leaves funny petterns on the lawn. By the way, Iknow some poachers, do you know any petit criminals say weed smokers?
I have made it well known here that the thought of shooting a human being upsets me a lot. I don't shoot animals OR people. If I were to shoot an animal, it would be to eat, protect from attack or put an animal out of it's misery. The only human I think I could ever shoot is one that is intent on doing great physical harm to me or someone in my family.

Poaching is illegal. Weed smokers are only affecting themselves. Poachers are hurting the balance of nature and ruining the herds for other hunters who follow the rules. If the herds were getting too large, I'm guessing the DNR would either increase the limit each hunter could take or they would issue more hunting licenses.

If you live out in the country then you should expect to see feral animals. If you want to live where things are a little more tame, move into town.

I don't appreciate being called names here on the forum and I have not called you any names. I have simply pointed out that wounding stray dogs and pigs and not killing them humanely is offensive to some people. Also, illegal poaching is pretty offensive, too, to those hunters who follow the rules and obey the laws.

When you post here about illegal and/or unethical issues, expect to catch some flak.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
So I live out here in the country and defend my property and person from feral animals and you mealy mouthed dogooders whine and pith and moan about poor animals, people's pets etc. But you seem quite accepting of the practice of shooting feral humans. HYPOCRITS, If it's a threat shoot it. You must not get out much with the rural gun crowd, a lot of people still regard the woods as a grocery store. However game populations are increasing because alot of younger people don't like blood and guts and killing anamals and many that go sit in camp, dressed in the latest from CabelasAnd use there custom folders to cut up thier ribeyes. Or maybe they put on their cammies and go to the range and shoot the latest designer SA. My daughter got bit by a skunk while hauling out her trash. Now we have had a rash of rabid skunks. There have been public notices to shoot the skunks through the chest to save the head for testing. Now I probably won't wound as many because I got a 357. A s&w 637 is a nice gun to carry while mowing the lawn I have tried to run over rats with the mower bit they are quick and it leaves funny petterns on the lawn. By the way, Iknow some poachers, do you know any petit criminals say weed smokers?
You're only impressing yourself, and I doubt doing a very good job, at that. Everyone that I know that lives "out here in the country", understands the likelyhood of having to put an animal down, but they don't brag about only wounding it and letting it suffer. We're better shots than that. Your reference to poachers puts you right amongst them. I think you're about 14 years old, and have no supervision while on the internet. I also think that you're too immature for this forum, and will be seriously lacking in your ability or willingness to contribute anything substantial. By the way, who in their right mind tries to mow over a rat when they have a firearm to shoot 'em with? Oops, I forgot, ya gotta be able to hit 'em first. It does make a telling image though... you chasing a rat all around your front yard with a lawn mower.

My suggestion..... take a hike, and take your juvenile attitudes with you.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 08-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I find a consistent favorite with the ladies to be my P22. Yeah, it isn't supremely reliable, and is only chambered in .22lr, but if it's the only thing she might like enough to actually want to go back to the range to shoot, then that is your best choice.
This is exactly what my wife has. She could not operate any other handgun we looked at. I have CCI velocitor hollow points for self defense for her.

The p22 functions perfectly as long as you stick with CCI Mini-mags and CCI velocitors

To whoever said that a .22 will "just piss off" the BG. I have to say if you empty a 10 round magazine of hollow points center mass on the BG (very doable with the p22), I don't think he is just going to be "pissed off". He will be leaking out of 10 holes. I don't wanna meet the man that is "pissed off" with those types of injuries.
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.