Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Handgun for Deer hunting

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Go with the GP100. 5 18.52%
Who cares about collecting, shoot the 19. 1 3.70%
Who cares about collecting, shoot the 629. 6 22.22%
Be a man and buy another 44 or bigger. 11 40.74%
You have the ghey for not owning a 41 Mag. 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I voted for the GP100, as i love mine (never tried it on deer).

However, if you should wish to do your part against that scourge we call bears, you would want something a bit larger.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I want a 41 but I don't know if I have the funding to start a new caliber at the moment. I'm already into 357 and 44.

Stalkingbear started this Blackhawk idea and after some shopping I'm interested. I'm leaning towards the 7.5" 44.
I believe Bear is another big .41 Mag fan, but I understand not wanting to take on a new caliber, new dies, new brass, new bullets, new powder, etc... But if you change your mind and join the .41 Mag club, let me know and I'll send you some components to get started with--some of the brass and bullets are getting hard to find right now and I have a good stash.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
I believe Bear is another big .41 Mag fan, but I understand not wanting to take on a new caliber, new dies, new brass, new bullets, new powder, etc... But if you change your mind and join the .41 Mag club, let me know and I'll send you some components to get started with--some of the brass and bullets are getting hard to find right now and I have a good stash.

If I could find a supply of brass and bullets on the cheep the 41 could be possible. I've already got primers and an extra pound of H110, all I need is dies.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Boy View Post
I carry a S&W .44 mag with 12 '' barrel when I "Heater Hunt" (riding with the windows down) there's so much woods and area to cover up here in Northern Maine, not many people tree stand hunt up here, it's also partridge season, so I carry a shotgun in the truck. That's what I have with me, I wish you luck with your choice, and may you shoot a monster buck with it.
Is this even legal?

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

H110 is my favorite .41 Mag powder, although you do have to be very careful not to under load the round. I shoot almost exclusively 210 gr bullets, mostly Hornady XTP, but have shot Sierra and Nolser also. I have loaded 170 gr also, which makes a great practice round using WW 231 or HP-38 powder, which is what I reload my .45 ACPs with. I have a Blackhawk Bisley, a Dan Wesson DA, and a Marlin lever rifle in .41 Mag. My favorite load is 20 grains of H110, nickle plated Starline .41 brass with WW large pistol primers. The hard component to come by right now seems to be the brass--if you need any let me know.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Is this even legal?
The wildlife LEO's seriously frown on hunting from vehicles or roads down here (big fine, etc.), but that may differ in other areas, not sure. If it could be done safely, i'd love to pull a "drive-by" on a deer.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
Is this even legal?
No where close to legal here in NC.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Neither legal nor ethical in my humble opinion...

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Exactly.....this is what I found. (from the Maine dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife)

Shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm or crossbow in or on a motor vehicle. It is unlawful to shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or have a loaded firearm or crossbow while in or on a motor vehicle, trailer, or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except as specifically allowed. (Note: A loaded clip may be carried in a motor vehicle, but it must not be inserted in, or attached to, a firearm; a crossbow may be carried as long it is not cocked and armed; a muzzle-loading firearm is considered to be loaded ONLY if charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism.)

a. Persons who hold a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may carry a loaded pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle.
b. Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion.
c. Migratory waterfowl may be hunted from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations.
d. A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by the motor, except as allowed in dispatching crippled waterfowl under power. The wanton waste law allows you to shoot cripples under power on those coastal waters and all waters of rivers and streams lying seaward of the first upstream bridge, (as noted in the Migratory Game Bird Summary).

and

Shooting from or over a public paved way. A person is guilty of hunting from or over a public paved way if that person shoots at any wild animal or wild bird from any public paved way or within 10 feet of the edge of the pavement of the public paved way or from within the right-of-way of any controlled access highway or discharges any firearm or crossbow over a public paved way (any road treated with bituminous or concrete material).

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Maine guy was probably/hopefully just kidding around.

I think people who drive small cars should have a shotgun-only exception for deer/jaywalking ungulates who cause body or upholstery damage to said small car.

I had a student who had hit so many deer, damaging so many of his vehicles, that he was driving an older model pick-up truck with a seriously reinforced brushguard to bounce them off. I believe he had hit seven deer on his own rural road.

Last edited by orangello; 10-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.