Gun Cleaning? or not?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Gun Cleaning? or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Cleaning? or not?

I use my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Magnum for deer hunting. This year I shot one round, killed my deer and did not see another deer or shoot another shot. My question is this. Do I need to clean the gun after only one shot? I will put it away till next hunting season since this is the only use I have for this gun. My "smaller" revolvers and pistols get plenty of use and frequent cleaning but do I put more "wear" on the 44 mag by cleaning it since I only shoot one or two rounds per year.
Thanks

Life is Short make a difference today!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would clean it if you are going to pack it away for that long. I wouldn't put a whole lot of effort into it. Maybe a few passes through the barrel and a light coat of oil

Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

I shoot my "main" revolver a lot.

My GP-100 sees about 500-600 rounds a month, unless its an "off" month.

I do clean it after every outing but with a stailess steel revolver thats msotly to make myself feel good and look at a nice clean revolver.

One day when I only shot 100 rds in a session and I knew I wouldnt go back for a couple weeks, I didnt clean it just wiped it w/ Gunzilla for looks and didnt feel guilty one bit.

I do keep the internals well oiled though...

Last time I cleaned the gun it had 500 rounds from a single session (sahred w/ a bud) mostly on cheap 38 spc ammo and it was filthy.
I spent almost an hour making it immaculate. hmmmm .. nice

I just LOVE looking at it now.. next to my bed.. all gleaming.... and shiny. .. yum. uhm... where where we?... yes... uhm cleaning well..

Now I dont want to get it dirty again ( Its so shiny! ) so will switch to shooting my blued revolvers more, since its easier to keep them looking clean

Last edited by bluez; 12-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #4

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez
I shoot my "main" revolver a lot.

My GP-100 sees about 500-600 rounds a month, unless its an "off" month.

I do clean it after every outing but with a stailess steel revolver thats msotly to make myself feel good and look at a nice clean revolver.

One day when I only shot 100 rds in a session and I knew I wouldnt go back for a couple weeks, I didnt clean it just wiped it w/ Gunzilla for looks and didnt feel guilty one bit.

I do keep the internals well oiled though...

Last time I cleaned the gun it had 500 rounds from a single session (sahred w/ a bud) mostly on cheap 38 spc ammo and it was filthy.
I spent almost an hour making it immaculate. hmmmm .. nice

I just LOVE looking at it now.. next to my bed.. all gleaming.... and shiny. .. yum. uhm... where where we?... yes... uhm cleaning well..

Now I dont want to get it dirty again ( Its so shiny! ) so will switch to shooting my blued revolvers more, since its easier to keep them looking clean
Don't forget to clean the chamber if shooting dirty .38 special, the crud rings can make it difficult to load the .357 rounds.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

even if i only shot one or two rounds a year, i would still clean it and oil it before storing away. just the way i was taught by my father.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Don't forget to clean the chamber if shooting dirty .38 special, the crud rings can make it difficult to load the .357 rounds.
I hate those pesky "38 spc rings" as I call them to myself.
Ream them out with the copper brush several times and then with the cotton pad.

My least favorite part of clenaing revolvers trhose 6 chambers

Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I would wipe the Redhawk down with a quality gun oil. Since you seldom shoot the gun I would put an oiled patch through the bore and cylinder. Rust pits in the cylinder are a PITA. If you store the Redhawk in a case a couple desiccant packs are great for preventing condensation.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I would clean it. One shot may not hurt it. But being out and about will. I did the same a few years ago. I shot a deer with my 30-06 and did not clean it. After a few months I pulled it out and noticed some rust on the bolt.

I clean my more handled guns at least once a month no mater if I shoot them or not. (My AR and XD) my AR gets taken out the safe all the time so I try to wipe it down and lube it every so often. My XD is my carry gun so I keep it lubed and clean 24/7.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. Very helpful
AL

Life is Short make a difference today!