Grips for New Model Balckhawk
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Grips for New Model Balckhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Grips for New Model Balckhawk

So... after deciding to keep the Ruger 50th Anniversary of .44 Mag Blackhawk I recently purchased, I really need grips to accomidate my large hands. The original grips only allow my ring finger to be the bottom stabilizer and my pinky finger/metacarpal sits below the grip completely.

I can still shoot it to a degree of profienciency, but I know know I would see much improvement and comfort from an oversized grip, possibly w/ finger groves that looks good.

I called Hogue and they said an aftermarket wood monogrip is still at least a year away for the "50 years of .44 mag" edition.

Does ANYONE know where I might be able to get an oversized (possibly finger grooved) grip for this model revolver. I am willing to pay for custom made. I am keeping this gun and want to make it nice, fun, and comfortable to shoot. The factory grips are manageable, but I wanna do better.

Thanks,
D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #2

Liked 2029 Times on 1295 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Here are a few to try - www.esmerelda.com
Pistol Grips, Revolver Grips and Handgun Grips: grips4guns.com
Hand Carved, Pistol Grips,pistol,grips,carving,metal,inlay,exotic
Nill Griffe - News
Private's Custom Grips
Stag grips for sixguns...Rugers, Uberti's, more...
Gun Grips, Handgun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc.

They all make revolver grips. Not sure about your model. Good luck, boat

Last edited by boatme98; 08-13-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:54 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

When I want my Blackhawk to look good I put on the original skins.

When I want to shoot my Blackhawk I put on my Packmar.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here you go: Hogue soft runbber grips for your square trigger guard, only $24.95

Ruger Super Blackhawk Rubber Monogrip [84000] - $24.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am sure most of you know this, but you might want to unhook one leb of the long spring under your hand grips, on the blackhawk to lighten the trigger pull. I believe I am correct that this goes for the standard blackhawk not just the super blackhawk. If you are changing out grips might as well give it a try. I am just collecting some blackhawks not shooting, so some of the knowledgeable shooters/smiths please chime in if I am wrong. I understand it makes the trigger pull very sweet.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #6

+ 1 on the Hogue grips, I've got hard rubber Pachmayr on my Super and they look good but I don't get the same grip I can with Hogues'. I have one piece Hogues on my 1911, I really like those.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

All great feedback, except for the fact the the grips for the Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary as well as the New Vaquero feature the new XR3 grip frame with the internal locking mechanism or "child lock". Therefore, the standard oversized and/or finger grooved grips that we all know and love are incompatible with the 50th anniversary .44 mag.

Oh, how I wish I had known this before the purchase. I have found ONE individual that manufactures his own oversized grips equipped with attached fillers at the bottom of panels to have a solid grip beyond the frame, however his sense of urgency to satisify a customer (long response time returning e-mails, or no response at all) is questionable when thinking about sending a check??? His work looks great from pics though.

Maybe SOMEONE out there knows how to modify a set of Hogue or Excalibur oversized wood grips to fit the XR3 w/ internal lock. I think the main issue is the location of the stabilizing grip locking pin (or whatever it's called). I thought about getting a cheap set and drilling a shallow hole after carefully scribing its location and see how it works.

Thanks for all the help.
D

Last edited by diggsbakes; 08-16-2009 at 06:20 PM.