Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Gp100 Help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/gp100-help-57737/)

fupuk 02-14-2012 08:35 PM

Gp100 Help

Me and my oldlady went to the range this afternoon and we were there for about 45min and i noticed when i tried to cock the hammer to try some accuracy shots it wouldnt stay cocked so i could only fire in double action? We stopped shooting my revolver and we left because it was about time for me to go to work. But im wondering what would be the cause of this? She was shooting single action and double action before i even got to shoot it with no problems. I ran probaly 18 rounds in double action and then wouldnt cycle into single action.. The revolver was brand new when i bought it back in October 2011 and it has around 2500 rounds or so through it. Never had a problem with it before.

Thanks.

hiwall 02-14-2012 09:35 PM

most likely just some crud got in the wrong spot. a cleaning will make it like new again.

vincent 02-15-2012 12:25 AM

Subscribing to the thread...interested to see what the problem is. Could it be time for a detail strip and clean after only 2500 rounds?

goretro77 02-15-2012 01:14 AM

Fepends on dirty those rounds are. 2500 rounds is a decent amount of shooting between cleanings. Time to clean and then see if your single action comes back, You probably have a ton of crud right where the hammer and sear meet.

So when you pull back double action (with GP100 empty of course) and you feel the first click, do you hear the second click before the hammer drops?

fupuk 02-15-2012 01:35 AM

Well the thing is i had it apart about a week ago and inspected everything, cleaned what i could and put it back together. Checked to see if it functioned when i put everything back together and it did. Took it to the range today and got maby 100 rounds through it and then it stopped working in single action. I was thinking if i got it together wrong why would it cycle at home unloaded and at the range for a few rounds then just stop? I will have to take it apart when i get home and see what happends.

fupuk 02-15-2012 04:34 AM

Ok just got home and pulled it out and now that its cooled down it will go into single action but the hammer feels different than it did before. It seems rough like there is metal on metal? Dont know yet??

m72law 02-15-2012 04:51 AM

check/clean the front of the cylinder really good,if you have been firing non jacketed rounds through it.

reason i say this,it only took my ruger redhawk 44mag 12rds of cast lead bullets & started acting the same way your GP100 is doing.

& if thats not the case,check your owners manual for complete disassembly.there aint much to those GP100's;)

Josh1158 02-15-2012 05:53 AM

I have a speed six that does the same thing with non jacketed rounds or when it's just dirty as hell. The revolver won't even move when you pull the trigger. She jams rite up.

fupuk 02-15-2012 07:07 AM

Nope i always use jacketed ammo. Took it apart and it worked in single action about six times, and now its doing the same thing again it wont let me cycle in single action? I dont know what else to do for a quick fix...

winds-of-change 02-15-2012 07:16 AM

I would call Ruger customer service. I had trouble putting together my GP100 once and they were very helpful to me.