GP100 frustration - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP100 frustration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. If they did that, I believe it would need to go to an FFL. Hopefully they'd cover all the fees.

I think what bugs me the most is getting it back from "repair" in the same condition. We'll see what happens this round.

At least I still have my 1911 and M&P 9. The 1911 gave me a bit of trouble till I replaced the extractor. The M&P - not a glitch. And here I thought my first revolver would be my most stable platform!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #12

I *may* have figured out the problem. After a bunch of reading online, browsing various forums, and google searching I started looking at how the pawl contacts and turns the cylinder. I think it's a question of mechanical (dis)advantage in combination with a cylinder that isn't turning as freely on the shaft as it should be. Never having owned a revolver before I wasn't sure just how smoothly/easily the cylinder should be turning. It occurred to me to try to push the cylinder in the same manner as the pawl. Doing that I could tell that the cylinder became very hard to turn by pushing on the bearing surfaces of the star gear. It's not easy on any of the six positions but at least half of them it's essentially impossible to turn the cylinder by "hand" in this manner.

Short story is, I stripped it down to where I removed the crane assembly, even found out how to remove the frame latch and ejector rod, but then found that on this GP100 that's as far as I go without a specialized tool to completely remove the cylinder from the shaft. I was able to test my theory by applying a small amount of gun butter to the point where the cylinder meets the shaft and letting that soak for a while. The cylinder is much smoother and freer now and there's no more "freeze up" on three cylinders. There's still a definite stiffness on three so I think I'll still send it back to Ruger along with a note explaining my theory. I suppose I could go the route of soaking the crane and cylinder to fully clean it, but I'd just as soon have Ruger check it out throughly. Maybe the bearings or shaft are in need of work.

Long post, but figured it might be interesting to some. I'll post again once I get the gun back from Ruger.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7628 Times on 4585 Posts
Likes Given: 9514

Great research and investigating, GlormRax. I hope your revolver is up and running smoothly, too. I know my GP100 is still my most reliable gun.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #14

Thanks Winds.

I took it a bit further this weekend and tore down the gp100 again, then soaked the crane & cylinder assembly in Hoppe's. Blew it dry & then lightly oiled. The cylinder now spins very smoothly on its shaft. Assembled & now the gun cycles smooth as silk...nice. Haven't had a chance to get to the range yet but it's looking very good. I'm actually glad I was able to fix the problem myself so that if it begins to get hard to cycle again I'll know exactly what to do. At this point, I'm not planning to send it back to Ruger.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #15

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Been keeping an eye on your thread...fellow GP100 owner...have yet to encounter any problems luckily with mine either.

Thanks for posting, sucks that you have to learn about your gun that way but still good that you did. Your hard work is appreciated and again, thanks for posting!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 667

The Ruger revolver apparently have very tight tolerances. I had a problem with my SP101 cylinder not closing when loaded. Turned out to be excess oil behind the star. I keep an eye on it when cleaning and have not had a problem since. If a loaded cylinder gets hard to close, check behind the star for excess oil or debris. Ruger did replace a Redhawk for me when it turned out the rear sight was improperly milled. They also replaced a couple of parts for a used gun at no charge.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 6inch barreled GP-100. This is a kind of rare bird in that it doesn't have the heavy barrel but the thinner barrel.

Anyway I have noticed that the cartridges actually slide back and forth as the cylinder turns but do lock up tight when the cartridge goes into battery so to speak (ready to fire). Cylinder lock up is tight everything shoots fine. Great accurate revolver. Just weird watching those shells move back and forth.

Anyone else notice this? Factory or reloads same deal.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #18

Time for an update. I had a chance to hit the range yesterday and am happy to report that the gp100 performed smoothly. I intentionally put 150 rounds of .38 special thru it and another 50 of .357. The cylinder still spins like a top and I couldn't detect any hint of binding. It seems like the extra attention I paid to the cylinder last cleaning has remedied the problem.

I'll keep this thread updated if I have any more problems with the gun.

Thanks all, for the feedback!