Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP100 frustration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default GP100 frustration

Hi All,

Need to get some feedback on a problem with a brand new gp100. Picked it up new at local shop mid January. A couple visits to the range, probably went through 200 rounds so far, combination of 357s and 38specials, no issues at all until this last trip beginning of March. Problem was "freezing up" on three cylinders. Three are fine, DA or SA. Then next three it's impossible to cock by hand or DA. Searched thru postings, saw occasional others who had same problem.

Called Ruger - got a shipping pickup scheduled, round trip to Ruger & back, 10 days total, no cost to me. Service order says they replaced the pawl and trigger, safety function check and test firing. So far so good.

Until - got the gp100 back today, unpacked it...began dry firing (safely) and WTH?? Exactly the same problem as when I shipped it to them!

I'm completely blown away that it could have been returned to me, supposedly test fired on all cylinders according to customer support, but it is still broken! Sigh...CS says they will arrange shipping back, etc etc, "sorry for the inconvenience...".

I'm hoping others can confirm for me that this isn't typical of Ruger?

I'm tempted to find a local smith to have it checked/repaired here & send the bill to Ruger.

Arrrgh!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That is disappointing! I haven't had any problems with my GP100, so i can't comment on Ruger customer service/warranty work. Suprising to me.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

goretro77 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

I have a Ruger GP100 and I haven't had a problem with it. I'm surprised it came back to you in the same condition. I don't know what could be wrong with it but I will follow this thread closely to see how it resolves. I'm sorry for your disappointment. I have dealt with Ruger customer service and found them to be friendly, helpful and prompt. I kept losing a spring and had to keep getting a new one.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had the same problem with mine after running like 1500 rounds through mine. I took it apart and it looked like there was oil everywhere. I cleaned all of it off and put one drop of oil in the mechanics of it and it works like a dream again. Dont know why it would do it on a brand new gun but maby this will help.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I haven't had any malfunction with mine either, a friend has had a blued model the same as my stainless one for about 6 years and shot his considerably more and no problems either, I haven't had a problem with any of my Ruger products. I don't know anyone who has used their warranty service either. Some guys on this forum have commented on Ruger having very good service, though as I said I have no experience and hope I don't in the future.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

no malfunctions at all with mine and I've taken mine hiking,camping,home defense and indoor range duty. I hope they do yours right.

Do not assume anything.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I just talked to another guy who has a GP100, he has said he has had this problem and in his case it was related to using reloads with the bullet not seated to the right length, or from the chambers being dirty and the rims not seating onto the cylinder all the way causing clearance problems with the frame. Maybe check out the cylinders in question and shove some shells in and look to see that they are seating in all the way and nothing in the cylinder is holding them out

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #8

Took it to my local gun shop, mainly to confirm that I'm not crazy (debatable) but sure enough, I think his words were "yep, f'd up".

Never had reloads thru it, only factory new, brand name cartridges. Btw, it does this empty, dry-fire mode.

Thanks all for the quick responses. I'll update this thread with any new info.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have never heard of this happening with a GP100 before. I have had a GP100 for a long time and have fired it both single and double-action with no problems. Good luck in solving your problem.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

I wonder if Ruger would just send you a new gun. That would be nice.