GP100 First Impression
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP100 First Impression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default GP100 First Impression

Most of you know that I picked up a GP100 last week from a local guy. It was absolutely filthy when I got it as you can see here but it didn't appear to have been shot much and the price was right. I decided to take it with me to the range this past Sunday prior to cleaning it and run it thru the paces. I don't usually do this but I really wanted to shoot this thing.

dsc_0250.jpg

As soon as I picked it up I noticed how heavy it was. It is considerably heavier then my model 19. Even with the extra weight I found it to be well balanced and easy to point. The factory grips felt nice in my hand and were easy to hold on to.

I decided to start the day with 38s just to get a little bit of a feel for it and had a half box of 125gr +p WWB. They felt like Stingers out of my dad's single six! After I ran thru them I decided to get to something with a little more punch....158gr 357s at 1250 f/s. These were a joy to shoot and I actually finished the time out with them. I could shoot these or some of my hot handloads all day long with no problem. My current favorite is 158gr slug over 16.4gr of H110.

At this point I was very happy with the gun. It was accurate, easy to shoot and just plain fun. In DA the trigger is heavy but not horrible. A set of Wolfe springs would greatly help it there. In SA the trigger was very nice. There was no creep, it broke clean and consistant but was a touch heavier then I like. Springs would help this as well but I think I'm going to try a very light polish first before I order springs.

Monday I decided it was time to really clean it. I disassembled the gun to find a gun that had never been taken apart and showed no wear whatsoever. I also found some extremely poor machining which was a big disappointment after the high was riding from shooting it. Everything was very coarse, there were burrs and machining flowers(metal shavings that are barley hanging on) on several edges. I started looking at the barrel and forcing cone only to find the same coarseness which was again disappointing. I'm sorry I didn't have my camera to take pictures of this and I already deburred everything.

I'm still happy with the purchase since I've now got a good gun that will happily eat the hot loads I like to work up and I can possibly hunt with it later this year. I can also see this becoming a good all around woods gun for when I'm hiking, getting firewood or checking tree stands. Even though I was disappointed by the machine work the function of the gun was fantastic and the fit/finish is very nice. The factory grips help control recoil and fit me well but I can see a new set in the future. If you are in the market for a good DA/SA revolver I don't think you can go wrong with the GP100, especially for the price.

Sorry, I don't have any targets. I must have thrown them away by mistake. I'll get some next time.

I think it cleaned up nicely.

dsc_0253.jpg

dsc_0256.jpg

dsc_0258.jpg

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is the EXACT revolver that I want! Nice job!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The GP100's can be a little crude sometimes. As much as I've loved mine, (I've had four) I prefer the Security Six over the GP series for smoothness and finish.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had one too and although it felt very nice in my hand, I opted to trade it away since I had a S&W 681 which I felt was a superior weapon in all ways and shot much more consistent for me. Regardless, it is a nice weapon for the price.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Nice add spitty. I've got to get one of those too.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."